Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I cried uncle and postponed my test date  (Read 1474 times)

Nylo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I cried uncle and postponed my test date
« on: June 06, 2004, 06:04:07 PM »
At first I thought I was just having last-minute jitters, but after much soul-searching, I finally allowed myself to admit that I'm just not ready for the June test - despite two months of hardcore studying. I've gone through the LG Bible (twice), a bunch of prep books (Nova, Kaplan, PR, though most of it is crap), 15+ prep tests, AND a weekend PowerScore course, but I'm still stuck in the low 160s. I scored 164 on my first diagnostic test back in November, I just scored 162 yesterday on my latest practice test, and I've been scoring 159-164 on all the tests in between. Maybe I'm just dense, but obviously I'm missing SOMETHING and I have no clue what that is. I really underestimated the LSAT (or overestimated my abilities). ARGH!

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I cried uncle and postponed my test date
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 06:43:31 PM »
you made the rigth choice.

it took me a month to realize that june test would be disaster for me.

therefore october here i come.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 07:19:43 PM »
I don't want to say that anyone's limited in their abilities, but I have to say, based on my practicing, I'm thinking there is a limit to how high each of us can get.  I've been scoring consistantly in the high 160s.  I started out scoring in the low 160s, and after the LG bible, and some help from PS weekend course, I've been pretty much steady around 169.  I thought, when I started, that I could easily work my way up to the low to mid 170s, but i'm losing hope.  But since I'm satisfied (I suppose....) with that score, I'm still taking it next week.

Hopefully anyone that postpones will be able to improve with more practice.  Or, at the very least, go in with a surer state of mind in October!

Silversoma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Me at Radiohead- Thunderbird Stadium, August/03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 02:05:05 PM »
I agree, I think that everyone has a certain limit.  Logically, given indefinite time and resources to practice for the LSAT, everyone should eventually score a 180 under real test conditions, right?  But I really think that that's impossible, and that one just has to draw the line at some point....

I think that if I did as many practice tests as Jacy, I would probably get a score in the mid-160's on the 25th test  :-\

Practice LSATs so far: 156 155 157 155 157 161 162 161 155 155 160 164 166 161 170 166 168 160 163 162 172

LSAT's finished... I don't have to think about law school for a year now.
********* GO Team Canada GO!!!!! ***********

utaustin

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.36/164
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 08:41:13 PM »
There are limits, but how do you really know if you've reached it or not?

Don't find yourself say "if I only did more this or that"

I know I haven't done everything that I could do. I have worked 25-30 preptests (though not all full exams) and I have not reviewed as intensively as I should have. I think this could give me a 5pt advantage and I can spot areas of potential improvement.

People have other things to do and they have to get on with life, so your ultimate decision rests on your ability to know yourself.

Hazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 01:20:30 AM »
I'm probably going to postpone.  If I do end up taking it, I'll always wonder want I could have made if I put it off and studied more.  Besides, I'm not scoring where I need to be right now.  But, I still have a bunch of tests I can do till October...but that school-thing might get in the way... 

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 01:42:58 AM »
There are limits, but how do you really know if you've reached it or not?

Don't find yourself say "if I only did more this or that"

I know I haven't done everything that I could do. I have worked 25-30 preptests (though not all full exams) and I have not reviewed as intensively as I should have. I think this could give me a 5pt advantage and I can spot areas of potential improvement.

People have other things to do and they have to get on with life, so your ultimate decision rests on your ability to know yourself.

that is a very nice way to sum it up.

yep.

Dante Hicks

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whatchoo lookin at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 11:38:34 AM »
I postponed today too..join the club.
One day it was so cold in Chicago that the lawyers had their hands in their own pockets.

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 11:46:09 AM »
There is a limit.  You also need to lessen the pressure.  You sound like you're allowing the test to control you.  Understand that a 160+ is a good score, and besides, this test DOES NOT reflect your potential as a lawyer.  When you realize this, you will be ready for the test.
Weightlifting Commentator:  "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria.  I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing." <---NBC

Tennis Commentator:  "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them."<--NBC

M2

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 11:54:47 AM »
There is a limit.  You also need to lessen the pressure.  You sound like you're allowing the test to control you.  Understand that a 160+ is a good score, and besides, this test DOES NOT reflect your potential as a lawyer.  When you realize this, you will be ready for the test.

Unfortunately law schools do not see it this way...