Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What kind of credit score do you need? What was yours (if you don't mind)?  (Read 1059 times)

werbz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evil Monkey
    • View Profile
It might be too late for any of that talk... but does anyone know what kind of score the lenders require for loans? I'm looking at Sallie Mae LAWLOANS. I will probably be attending in the Spring so I have a few months to try to pay off debt and get my score up. I also might not be able to find a co-signer due to the fact my family and friends are lazy a$$ b1tches.

650?

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I BELIEVE the minimum score to qualify is a 640, though the interest rates would probably be ugly.

Call them and ask.  They'll know much better than any of us...

A.J.

A score above 700 will get you good rates.  It takes more than the score alone however.  Your specific credit history is considered. 

werbz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evil Monkey
    • View Profile
I BELIEVE the minimum score to qualify is a 640, though the interest rates would probably be ugly.

Call them and ask.  They'll know much better than any of us...

Yeah, I tried that. They won't give out specific criteria--they did give me the "more than your score" speech though. I can't imagine THAT much more is considered.

werbz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evil Monkey
    • View Profile
I just saw the thread by JeffB... Apparently I should've went there first!

::)

JeffB

• I can't stop thinking about ninjas
    • View Profile
Note - I have a 718, but I have been turned down by AccessGroup twice because my credit history says that I have an account in dispute (which I do not and am currently fixing).
In at USD

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have a 650, my husband has a 710, Wells Fargo gave me, with my husband co-signing, 18.5K at the same rate as gov't subsidized student loans, around 3%.