Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Is Deep Throat an American Hero or a Vengeful, Self-interested Hypocrite?

Hero
Hypocrite

Author Topic: Deep Throat  (Read 3112 times)

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nolegirl290@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Deep Throat
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2005, 12:20:49 PM »
Well, it is hard to speculate because we don't know what would have happened if he had decided to go about it differently. But I do know that the way he chose to go about it in reality worked out pretty well.
Tony:"So your not gonna go to law school? What do you wanna do then?"
Mike:"I wanna dance!"

PresClay_00

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2005, 12:21:59 PM »
you've got me there - i'm normally an ends justify means sorta guy, but i also don't like the sneakiness (i think i'm a broker record on this though)

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2005, 12:25:09 PM »
Yeah. I understand where you are coming from. I normally don't like sneakiness on the part of ANY goverment official (though it seems to be unavoidable.) But I think in his situation  and in that day in age, when people were still fairly trusting of the government, it was the best solution.

hey not you hey

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey. Not you. Hey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2005, 01:55:35 PM »
you've got me there - i'm normally an ends justify means sorta guy, but i also don't like the sneakiness (i think i'm a broker record on this though)

I didn't like Nixon's sneakiness and the sneakiness of his entire cabinet and all his sleezy friends.  which is worse, a whistle-blower telling the truth that doesn't show his face for very legitimate reasons, or corruption at the highest levels of our government.

PresClay_00

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2005, 01:59:05 PM »
i don't like the man being made into a hero when he could have done it in a much more honorable way.  that doesn't say nixon wasnt' a crook

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2005, 02:11:16 PM »
i don't like the man being made into a hero when he could have done it in a much more honorable way.  that doesn't say nixon wasnt' a crook

I still disagree that he is being made into a hero. His fame is more about 1) the fact that his identity was kept a secret so long 2) his part in one of the most famous political scandals in American history and 3) the movies and books written about this event. I don't think anyone is making him into a hero per se. At least, I am not. I think he did the right thing and I am fasinated by the whole story/mystery.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2005, 02:21:08 PM »
what were deep throat's options?

point already has been made that progress in investigation probably would've stopped, as he surely would've been fired.  could he have counted on republicans in congress?  democrats--who would've been accused of partisan motive, of course.

even when facts came out, people like you believe nixon and his underlingts did nothing wrong.