Law School Discussion

chicago or boalt? help!

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Re: chicago or boalt? help!
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2005, 06:29:36 AM »
As a current Boaltie, I must say that by far the WORST part of my experience there so far is the location.  I hate the area.  Berkeley is dirty, overpriced and cold.  Over the last year, we got more rain than Seattle.  I was wearing a sweater throughout the majority of the summer and was still wearing a coat at the end of April.  Yes, Berkeley has some food variety, but, quite honestly, the quality is lacking the vast majority of the time.  I was appalled to learn that everything in this college town shuts down at 11 o'clock.  If you come out of a bar around midnight or later, you have to drive all the way to El Cerito to get a freaking burger.  Ridiculous!

All that said, I think Boalt is a great school, with caring professors and a student body full of bright and accomplished individuals.  It's a phenomenal place to study law.

In conclusion, my satisfaction rate with my entire experience would jump to about 120% if Boalt was in Miami.

risingMC

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2005, 07:11:32 AM »
As a current Boaltie, I must say that by far the WORST part of my experience there so far is the location.  I hate the area.  Berkeley is dirty, overpriced and cold.  Over the last year, we got more rain than Seattle.  I was wearing a sweater throughout the majority of the summer and was still wearing a coat at the end of April.  Yes, Berkeley has some food variety, but, quite honestly, the quality is lacking the vast majority of the time.  I was appalled to learn that everything in this college town shuts down at 11 o'clock.  If you come out of a bar around midnight or later, you have to drive all the way to El Cerito to get a freaking burger.  Ridiculous!.

Noooooo!!! That's not true!!! The Asian food ghetto stays open until 12 or 2 (can't remember which), and Top Dog stays open until 2 am. La Burrita stays open until 12, too. Then there's that Chinese place on shattuck that never seems to close.

The housing, though, I agree. Way overpriced, and really bad quality. For the same amount that I paid for my tiny studio I could get a quality one bedroom here in Chicago.

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2005, 07:27:11 AM »
That said, O'Hare has more air traffic than any airport in America. 

Actually Atlanta has surpassed O'Hare the past few years -- it's now the busiest airport in America in terms of passenger counts. You're technically right though -- O'Hare has the most air traffic operations.

I came across the other day and thought I'd share because I thought it was really interesting...And I had no idea Atlanta was that busy.

Atlanta is the busiest airport in the world, actually (when looking at # of arrivals & Departures). Something I actually remembered from my transportation policy class last year.

Sorry if it seems like I'm hijacking the thread - but I definitely read recently that ORD topped ATL in air traffic operations, and vice versa in passenger counts...I'll see if I can find it....

Edit: It was FAA administrator's fact book. While O'Hare has more air traffic operations than Atlanta, takeoffs and landings make up only part of an airport's overall air traffic ops count. But ATL does edge out O'Hare in both passenger counts and takeoffs and landings.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2005, 08:36:51 AM »
Yea, the airline stuff is kind of annoying.  I'm not sure that anybody except not-yet lawyers would care. 

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2005, 08:47:37 AM »
Yea, the airline stuff is kind of annoying.  I'm not sure that anybody except not-yet lawyers would care. 

True. The above is by far the dorkiest post I've made on this board.  :D

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2005, 08:59:58 AM »
Don't worry about it.  Perhaps the attention to details will make you a great lawyer  ;)

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2005, 09:28:11 AM »
As a current Boaltie, I must say that by far the WORST part of my experience there so far is the location.  I hate the area.  Berkeley is dirty, overpriced and cold.  Over the last year, we got more rain than Seattle.  I was wearing a sweater throughout the majority of the summer and was still wearing a coat at the end of April.  Yes, Berkeley has some food variety, but, quite honestly, the quality is lacking the vast majority of the time.  I was appalled to learn that everything in this college town shuts down at 11 o'clock.  If you come out of a bar around midnight or later, you have to drive all the way to El Cerito to get a freaking burger.  Ridiculous!.

Noooooo!!! That's not true!!! The Asian food ghetto stays open until 12 or 2 (can't remember which), and Top Dog stays open until 2 am. La Burrita stays open until 12, too. Then there's that Chinese place on shattuck that never seems to close.

The housing, though, I agree. Way overpriced, and really bad quality. For the same amount that I paid for my tiny studio I could get a quality one bedroom here in Chicago.

those are the exact places i am referring to when i say the food quality leaves much to be desired. 

i don't know, maybe i was just spoiled by my undergrad, but we had TONS of places open until well into the night and they were all really close to campus.  for a college town, berkeley certainly does "go to sleep" early.

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2005, 09:30:09 AM »

those are the exact places i am referring to when i say the food quality leaves much to be desired. 

Illegally Blonde,
I'm a dog person and your puppy is soooo cute! :)

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2005, 09:33:54 AM »

Illegally Blonde,

believe it or not, that is an obese pomeranian.  no one believes me when i tell them, because they have never seen a pom that big.

risingMC

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2005, 09:55:22 AM »

Illegally Blonde,

Yes, it's quite adorable.

Fair enough on the food. The good places tend to close early, but the bad ones stay open late. If you're in the mood for good indian food, you should drive over to Vik's. Good Mexican you can really only find in SF. Good thai can be found at HuaHin. Good Chinese at the Taiwan Restuarant on Shattuck (open until 12, I think).