Law School Discussion

chicago or boalt? help!

Re: chicago or boalt? help!
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2005, 11:12:35 AM »

I wouldn't go to Chicago without visiting.  It is in a bad neighborhood on the south side and not on the 'L' (elevated train).  The city is great but you will have a commute on your hands if you want to live somewhere fun or just somewhere with a reasonable crime rate. 

Chicago is a United Hub so you can probably get cheap flights between there and SF, another United Hub. 

Is the competitiveness of the students at all important too you?  These schools are on the opposite ends of the spectrum in that regard. 

Wrong (about the crime).

Correct.

Wrong.

U of C is less than a mile from the Ida B. Wells housing project.  Have fun walking around at night.

Berkeley has no grades and U of C is a more competitive T14.  How was my original statement wrong?

_____

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2005, 01:40:43 PM »
which would you choose and why?  no aid at chicago, in state + 8000 in grants at boalt.  probably want to work in california after LS but want to keep the option of academia open.  thoughts?

This is almost a full ride at Boalt right?  I'm sure you can get a summer associate position 2L summer and maybe both, so you could graduate just about debt free.  The grading system is sweet too.

No loans + No grades = go to Boalt!

Wanting to work in CA really seals the deal. 

The 8000 grants is actually need-based, so he would lose it if he got a firm job.

The Regents are voting on another 2500 dollar increase in the professional degree fee.

This year's graduating class has seen a 100% tuition increase over the course of their academic careers at Boalt.

Basically, there's no telling how much we will be paying two years from now, thus if you're gonna pick Boalt over Chicago, you should have a little more than 8k making that decision for you.

The fee increases have actually been quite incredible... Current undergrad students are now paying twice as much as I paid when I graduated 2 years ago (7000 vs 3400), and two years ago law school at boalt cost 15k per year, not the 25+ or whatever it is now...

Personally, I'd pick Chicago in a heart beat--mainly because I'm looking to get the hell out of CA and move to a cheaper place, like Chicago or just outside it, so I can recover financially from this huge loan hole I'm going to be in.  Being an extra 8k per year in debt in Chicago, where homes routinely sell for UNDER half a million dollars, is not going to be nearly as difficult as being those 8k per year "richer" and living in/near/around the San Francisco Bay Area.

About a year and a half ago, I toured a house in a mediocre neighborhood in SF (ok during the day, but I wouldn't necessarily go for a walk at night), and it was not only built in the early 1900s (and had not been remodeled since) but was also SICKENINGLY full of mold.  I mean, green/black walls, green/black carpet.  You'd essentially have to GUT the house to make it liveable.  I was there for 15 minutes and I had a headache when I left.

Wanna know how much they wanted, a year and a half ago, prior to the last 18 mos of 20% appriciation: 536,000.

If I remember correctly, that house actually sold over asking.

Once again, my vote: Chicago.

It's a better school and will set you up for a better financial situation (not just student loan-wise) for the rest of your life...

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2005, 02:07:08 PM »
While Chicago certainly is cheaper than San Fran, it's still not exactly cheap you know.  Yes -- cheaper -- that's true.

I don't know much about California real estate prices, but I've heard that pretty much statewide it's outragous. 

I'm going to the University of Pittsburgh next year.  I was blown away by the low real estate prices (and high quality housing) in and around Pittsburgh.

I just did a two minute search and found what you can get for $200,000 in Pittsburgh.  This house is in Squirrel Hill, one of the most desirable places where young families live in Pittsburgh.   Four bedrooms, den, dining room, beautiful house in perfect condition and I'd be willing to be they won't get asking price for it.

http://www.prudentialpreferred.com/property/index.cfm?fuseaction=propertymls&MLS=558834

In a safe, fun part of the city.  That's why I'm moving to Pittsburgh -- for the city more than the school.

_____

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2005, 02:11:18 PM »
While Chicago certainly is cheaper than San Fran, it's still not exactly cheap you know.  Yes -- cheaper -- that's true.

I don't know much about California real estate prices, but I've heard that pretty much statewide it's outragous. 

I'm going to the University of Pittsburgh next year.  I was blown away by the low real estate prices (and high quality housing) in and around Pittsburgh.

I just did a two minute search and found what you can get for $200,000 in Pittsburgh.  This house is in Squirrel Hill, one of the most desirable places where young families live in Pittsburgh.   Four bedrooms, den, dining room, beautiful house in perfect condition and I'd be willing to be they won't get asking price for it.

http://www.prudentialpreferred.com/property/index.cfm?fuseaction=propertymls&MLS=558834

In a safe, fun part of the city.  That's why I'm moving to Pittsburgh -- for the city more than the school.

I've been looking: 2 bed 2 bath condo in Evanston, IL (11 miles outside of Chicago and accessible by commuter train) tops out at about 250-300k.  On the lower side, they START at 150-175.

Where I live right now (which is 30 miles and 90-120 minutes of driving outside of SF, by the way): 2 bed, 2 bath condo STARTS at 350-375, and the sky's the limit on the rest.  (I know of one that sold for OVER 600k TWO YEARS AGO... A 1400 square foot CONDO PEOPLE! THAT DOESN'T EVEN INCLUDE MONTHLY HOA! OR PROPERTY TAXES!  OR ANYTHING!)

Screw CA--I'm going to move to Evanston (so pretty) and work in Chicago.  In 10 years, I'll have paid off both my student loans and my condo, and saved up a nest egg such that I can come back to CA if I want and not have a mortgage...

Most top 10 grads get 125k in Chicago, and 125k in SF--Chicago's money goes MUCH farther...

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2005, 02:31:01 PM »

I've been looking: 2 bed 2 bath condo in Evanston, IL (11 miles outside of Chicago and accessible by commuter train) tops out at about 250-300k.  On the lower side, they START at 150-175.

Where I live right now (which is 30 miles and 90-120 minutes of driving outside of SF, by the way): 2 bed, 2 bath condo STARTS at 350-375, and the sky's the limit on the rest.  (I know of one that sold for OVER 600k TWO YEARS AGO... A 1400 square foot CONDO PEOPLE! THAT DOESN'T EVEN INCLUDE MONTHLY HOA! OR PROPERTY TAXES!  OR ANYTHING!)

Screw CA--I'm going to move to Evanston (so pretty) and work in Chicago.  In 10 years, I'll have paid off both my student loans and my condo, and saved up a nest egg such that I can come back to CA if I want and not have a mortgage...

Most top 10 grads get 125k in Chicago, and 125k in SF--Chicago's money goes MUCH farther...

I agree that CA real estate is insane.  But watch out with the evanston real estate.  The part by Northwestern (UG, not Law) is nice but on the other side of town near Great Lakes, IL (?) they have gangs and other undesirable *&^%.  Compare something in Wriggleyville.

Lgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2005, 03:24:19 PM »
I agree that Chicago money goes further, but it _is_ San Francisco, after all. Need I say more?

_____

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2005, 03:58:58 PM »
I agree that Chicago money goes further, but it _is_ San Francisco, after all. Need I say more?

Whatever--I don't think SF is all that.  Of course, I grew up in the Bay Area, so for me it's the EXTRA expensive place (because everywhere is expensive) where it costs $10/hr to park down town ($2.50 every 15 minutes--no exaggeration), and they try to do stupid things like ban smoking in parks.  I'm all for smoke free environments, but come on people!  It's OUTSIDE!!!!

I mean, it's already illegal to smoke indoors in any public building in CA--and the State ban was recently ammended to include a ban on smoking within 20 feet of any opening to a building (door or functioning window).  I love the smoke free environment, but BANNING SMOKING OUTSIDE AWAY FROM ANY BUILDING???  Ridiculous.

(These are the same people, by the way, who recently tried to pass a bill creating nutritional standards for pet food.  Thank God they came to their senses and decided to direct the funds to fighting homelessness instead...)

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2005, 05:41:17 PM »

as someone who has lived in SF and currently lives in Chicago, i must say, yes, you do need to say more...

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2005, 11:48:23 PM »
That said, O'Hare has more air traffic than any airport in America. 

Actually Atlanta has surpassed O'Hare the past few years -- it's now the busiest airport in America in terms of passenger counts. You're technically right though -- O'Hare has the most air traffic operations.

I came across the other day and thought I'd share because I thought it was really interesting...And I had no idea Atlanta was that busy.

Atlanta is the busiest airport in the world, actually (when looking at # of arrivals & Departures). Something I actually remembered from my transportation policy class last year.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2005, 12:02:24 AM »
Ok -- let's not make this a discussion of airports now...

In any case, I really can't get over SF real estate prices.  It's almost unbelievable, but the thing is that it's actually very true (and kind of scary).

But I have to say that if you love SF, you love SF.  It is a wonderful place to live.