Law School Discussion

chicago or boalt? help!

chicago or boalt? help!
« on: June 01, 2005, 03:27:36 AM »
which would you choose and why?  no aid at chicago, in state + 8000 in grants at boalt.  probably want to work in california after LS but want to keep the option of academia open.  thoughts?

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Re: chicago or boalt? help!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 05:03:44 AM »
If you want to keep the academia option open, don't think twice and go to Chicago.  Even if you end up practicing, Chicago certainly wouldn't limit your options in California.

FYI: I go to Boalt.

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 06:33:34 AM »
I know Chicago is much better in academia than Bloat, but I didn't think Bloat was too shabby.  I say take the money.  Getting straight A's and getting on law review is the most important thing to be a law prof.

NathanB

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 07:09:02 AM »
Hmm, well, that is not the easiest one.  However, I think I'd do Chicago as well...  Ultimately, they are #6 (USNWR) and that is a big deal anywhere.

ASNetlenov

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 07:22:57 AM »
If you want to maximize your options after LS, including those regarding academia, go to Chicago.

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 07:30:50 AM »
If you want to maximize your options after LS, including those regarding academia, go to Chicago.
Yes, you have your pick of any job in the world going to the best school, but picking up $150K in debt means doing what you really want to do might be limited.

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 08:05:09 AM »
OP - how serious are you about academia.  it's one thing to keep you options open.  it's another thing to know, going into law school, that you're 80% sure you want to be a law professor.  the more serious you are about academia, the more you should consider chicago.

that being said, if you're like most people and you simply want to keep the door to academia open but are more interested in practicing as an attorney, then you'll be fine at either school.  go to the school you feel good about and the one where you think you'll do the best.  your performance at either of these law schools will be more determinative of how open the doors to academia will be.

risingMC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 08:59:45 AM »
I agree with InVinoVeritas on this one. Unless one is really committed and sure they want to go into academia, most students who simply keep the option open don't actually end up going into the field. Academia is a tough, tough place, and weeds out many people.

That having been said, I'd probably think long and hard about this one. People tend to be happier at Boalt than they seem to be in Chicago; I went to Berkeley for my ugrad, and I currently work with a couple UChicago students right now. The difference in money will also likely be significant as it relates to the choice of job you want to take after LS. Coming from UChicago you probably won't have as much freedom. In addition, if you're sure you want to go back to Cali, I can't imagine you'd be at too much of a disadvantage.

jdohno

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 10:51:39 AM »
I agree with the two posts above. You pretty much have a good financial situation at Boalt. If you want to get a job in academia in CA then you won't have a problem coming from Boalt. It's one of the best schools in the state. Sure a CA school will look at a Chicago grad but they will also look at a Boalt grad. With Boalt and Chicago, you are talking about two different environments. You're almost getting a free ride at Boalt. If you are worried about your financial situation go to Boalt. But if you have the money to pay for it, then go to Chicago. Good luck. You can't go wrong with either school.

jdohno

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 10:54:14 AM »
Also remember to be a law professor at a top school, you usually have to be a star in law school. Top of the class, law review, etc. It's pretty hard to achieve those things. So you want to keep open your options in terms of becoming an attorney.