Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Second Thoughts  (Read 990 times)

miguel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Second Thoughts
« on: May 31, 2005, 11:32:47 PM »

I took the LSAT, applied, got in to good school, and then accepted the offer of admission. The past couple weeks, however, have been the first time I actually thought about ATTENDING law school as seriously as ever, and the more I think about it, the more I really don't want to do it. I mean REALLY don't want to do it, not just having cold feet. Every reason I can think of about why I should do have to do with following through, making the most of it, seeking the prestige, and having the credential. There are number of extenuating circumstances, but I am certain that if I went, I would in many ways just be forcing myself to follow through with it. That wouldn't be the end of the world, but I am questioning if maybe I should just listen to my gut and pull out before it's too late... what would you all do? Just curious...

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Second Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 11:47:09 PM »
If you really don't know if you can handle it, I'd say talk over your specific concerns with your family, your profs, your pre-law advisor, the admissions office, etc.  After talking with them, your fears might be allayed.  But if you don't want to do it, then trust your instincts.  If you know you won't be happy in the law school environment, you probably won't do as well as you might otherwise do, because you won't have the kind of commitment that is really needed to get through the long hard schlog that is the first year.  In the end, it's your decision; there's no shame in making the choice that you feel will contribute more to your hapiness in the final analysis.  You still have some time yet, so my advice for right now is to sleep on it, talk about it with those you know, trust, and love, and then make a final decision.  I wish you the best, whatever you decide to do.  :)
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 08:31:03 AM »
Can I ask what prompted you to consider law school?

jdw112

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 08:38:07 AM »
Defer. Do something else with your life over the next year. It'll give you time to resolve your feelings.

andrea612

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 10:20:38 AM »
Defer. Do something else with your life over the next year. It'll give you time to resolve your feelings.

Agreed.  I looked at your LSN account and saw that you took your first LSAT back in 2000.  So, obviously, you've been thinking about becoming a lawyer for a long time.  If you just recently started to get nervous about your decision to go to law school, then don't just cancel your law school plans altogether; that would be too rash.  If you defered your acceptance, then you would have a year to really think about law school.  By the time that that year is up, you will probably have a better idea of what you really want to do.  Not to mention, if you defer your acceptances, you will still have the option to attend some of the same great schools that you have already been accepted to.  Good luck!
Attending: Capital
Accepted:  Capital, CalWestern, Stetson PT
Waitlist, Accept: McGeorge
Waitlist:  Stetson FT(withdrew)
Pending:  Dayton
Rejects:  Toledo

dropdimes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 10:31:55 AM »
I can definitely understand how you feel. I worked hard to get into a great school and was really excited. Now, with the prospect of actually going, I am a bit unsure. My main concerns are the amount of work, the huge debt I am incurring, and the lifestyle I will most likely have to assume to relieve that debt. I have alway's thought about becoming a lawyer, but have no particular passion for any certain area. I feel like you have a definite advantage over me in that you will be attending Boalt. If you tried it hated it, you could drop out, without being in a ridiculous amount of debt. Have you applied for laons yet, if you need them? And have you found an apartment? I think due to my lack of enthusiasm, I am lagging behind in both areas.

BraveheartDC

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Tribe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 10:46:07 AM »
I did not look at the OP's LSN account, but if it is true that he took the LSAT in 2000, that tells me that he's wanted to become a lawyer for 5 years.  Nothing between now and then has changed his mind.  So what will change in the next year if he defers?  Likely nothing.

I took the LSAT in October of 2003 expecting to apply that November/December and enroll in law school in August of 2004.  As November and December came and went, I could not convince myself that law school was 100% right for me.  I thought about an MA program, etc.  In the end, I decided to take a year off--worked as a political consultant during the elections (still doing it now for state races).  Over the year I took off, I could not convince myself that anything else was MORE RIGHT than law school.  Anytime you make a huge decision or commitment (see law school cost), that burden of future debt is going to magnify the 5% of you that thinks the other choice was the right one.

In my own experience, I am glad I took the year off, but I ended up basically where I started.  I am 95% sure law school is right.  I don't know that another year, or five for that matter, would change that.  I am ready to go to school, and I feel a LOT more comfortable going to law school than an MA program.  That said, I am also very happy about where I am going (William & Mary).  It's easier to not have second thoughts when you get THE school you wanted.

Best of luck with your decision.  God bless.
3.80 UGPA + 161 LSAT

Attending: William & Mary

Accepted off waitlist: William & Mary

Accepted: George Mason (withdrawn), University of Florida (withdrawn), Florida St. + $4K/YR (withdrawn), & American (withdrawn)

Waitlist: University of Virginia

Denied: Georgetown & University of Texas

jdw112

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 11:09:11 AM »
I wouldn't throw away a Boalt acceptance because I don't feel like going. I would take a year to see what I wanted to do. If at that point I didn't want law school, I'd let it go.

OP: Even if you decide law isn't for you, defer anyway. There is no harm being done. You may wake up in the dead of winter and wish for a change. The opportunity will be waiting.

BraveheartDC

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Tribe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 11:19:28 AM »
I should add that if you are not going to law school this term, you should defer (if they will let you).  I agree that under no circumstance (at this point) would I straight up decline at this point.

My point was that if you defer, you may well come back feeling the same way you did before the year off  (does not mean that deferral is necessarily a bad idea). 

Some may have understood my point, others may not have; thus, the clarification.
3.80 UGPA + 161 LSAT

Attending: William & Mary

Accepted off waitlist: William & Mary

Accepted: George Mason (withdrawn), University of Florida (withdrawn), Florida St. + $4K/YR (withdrawn), & American (withdrawn)

Waitlist: University of Virginia

Denied: Georgetown & University of Texas

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 11:27:34 AM »
Dude,

I feel you.. I feel that way all the time.. Going from an engineering career to a law career is a big leap for me.. but Im just not happy doing what Im doing.  Ive been interested in trying out law for some time, like yourself, and Im just gonna go for it.  I think everyone worries WAY too much about this stuff.. I mean.. if it sucks, and you hate it, drop out after the first year.. At least you wont regret not ever trying it.. The fact that you've been thinking about it since 2000 makes me think you should go for it.  The worst that can happen is that you dont like it, but.. more likely.. you'll probably love it.. make a bunch of good friends.. and have a great job once you get out..

I say go for it!!!!  You aint got much to lose!!!!
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL