Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Baylor or Tulane????!?!?!?  (Read 1177 times)

owaisaziz

• View Profile
Baylor or Tulane????!?!?!?
« on: May 31, 2005, 10:21:35 PM »
Hey y'all, I don't know if there is anyone else out there deciding between baylor or tulane but I still haven't been able to make up my mind. I just graduated from UT Austin and I would like to practice in Texas though all the rankings say that Tulane is a better school. Any advice? I still don't know what to do!

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Baylor or Tulane????!?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 11:13:29 PM »
Tulane is the better school. Go Tulane!

GLOBALgal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 12:06:31 AM »
DO NOT GO TO BAYLOR!!! 

UT, SMU, and UH law schools teach you how to think like a lawyer.  Baylor Law is, essentially, a THREE-YEAR BAR PREP COURSE.  Baylor Law does not focus on teaching you think like a lawyer; instead, it focuses on teaching you TEXAS BLACK LETTER LAW.  This is not an advantage, even if you want to practice in Texas.  This can be proven by the fact that many Texas law firms choose SMU and UH grads over Baylor grads ALL OF THE TIME. 

Although you mentioned you wanted to practice in Texas, Baylor does not dominate any Texas town.  In the Austin area, UT Law dominates, as it does throughout Texas.  In the DFW area, SMU Law dominates.  And, in Houston, UHLC and South Texas dominate.  Surprising?  South Texas has a GREAT reputation in Houston; a better rep. than Baylor. 

BOTTOM LINE: Tulane will teach you to think like a lawyer and will give you the same opportunities, as Baylor will, to practice in Texas.  CHOOSE TULANE.

thelawfool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 12:42:19 AM »
agreed.

new orleans wastes waco...
FIU Class of 2009

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 12:45:45 AM »
Enjoy your time at Tulane.

ArmChairQB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 12:48:17 AM »
To me Tulane would be the better choice. Although I would assume Baylor would hold more weight in Texas than Tulane.  However, with Baylor's extremely low curve, cutthroat environment, quarter system, and an attrition rate of almost 14%. Who wants that? lol

owaisaziz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 01:05:50 AM »
thanks for your help. tulane also offered me 15k and baylor offered 0, which seems to even out since tulane is also about 10k more expensive, but I think it would probably be the better choice. I read on US-news that the difference in starting salaries is 30k higher at Tulane. Does anyone know if this is true, or are the statistics just skewed? Any more suggestions/advice?

Austin_Anderson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 03:17:38 AM »
Baylor is considered to be the best legal education in Texas by many.  I chose not to attend there for other reasons (simply stating this so as to not come across as overly biased), but if you want to practice in Texas you can't go wrong with BU.  If you want to get out of Texas then Tulane is the better choice. 

princesssnadia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 01:27:33 PM »
TULANE

tacc731

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 10:03:52 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure that Tulane would place as well in Texas as Baylor.  Just from my experience, I thing Baylor has the better rep...and is definitely much more well-known amongst the non-law types.  Of course, they're not the ones who will be hiring you.