Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How important are on campus interviews when choosing a school.  (Read 297 times)

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Does the fact that more firms recruit at one school as opposed to another tell us anything?  Just because a firm is on the nalp directiory for a particular school it doesn't mean that the firm actually is offering jobs to students form that school.  I'm just curious what everyone thinks the significance of oci's when choosing what school to attend.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
Re: How important are on campus interviews when choosing a school.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 05:22:21 AM »
It didn't have an impact on my decision, but it should be considered when deciding where to go. In addition to the # of firms recruiting at OCI, one should look at the interviewing policy at the school.

Many schools allow firms to pre-screen the grades of applicants and choose which students to interview themselves, while other schools award OCI interviews by lottery. At schools where firms pre-screen students, one may have to be near the top of their class to get an interview through OCI.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
Re: How important are on campus interviews when choosing a school.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 08:38:58 AM »
I think it's a big deal, but I also think too many people make too big a deal out of it.  Like if a firm doesn't come to a campus for OCI, it's impossible for graduates of that school to get a job, or if a firm recruits there, it's only a matter of grades to work for that firm.

It does tell you the level of firm and what region graduates go to year after year.  If no firms interview from a certain region, or say no BigLaw firms interview at a school, that's going to be an uphill struggle (sometimes monumental) when trying to get a job at that level or in those regions.