Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do I HAVE to take the exam by October??  (Read 852 times)

newbie83

• View Profile
Do I HAVE to take the exam by October??
« on: May 31, 2005, 09:26:13 PM »
I went to University of Manitoba website, and the application form states that I have to take the exam by October.  Is it like that for ALL law schools in canada?  Cauase I'm scheduled to take it in October but I'm also planning to take it on december if i dind't do so well the first time.
Thanks.

ragnar

• View Profile
Re: Do I HAVE to take the exam by October??
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 10:00:09 AM »
i know that the dal will accept up to the feb. exam. but i don't think its recommended since all of seats will be given out before you woul deven have your score.

A.J.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 10:03:43 AM »
Hey guys, down in the States I was able to take the Feb exam and get accepted everywhere.  This was generally warned against however I have very good stats and so I was able to get away with it.  You may find a similar situation in Canada.  If I were you I would just call the schools youre interested in.

Whats higher education like in Canada?  Im jealous because I know you guys are going to go to LS on the cheap.  Thats gotta be nice.  What are you looking at in tuition at a public?  Like 7k or something?

mark_ede

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 09:26:40 PM »
Well yes and no. The best law schools cost over well over 10k Canadian, and will soon climb over 20k. This is cheap in the U.S (even 20k Canadian is like 15-16k). Note that Canadians are on average slightly poorer then Americans.

Most importantly-it is substantially more difficult to get into Canadian law schools because there are only around 15 in the entire country.

In general:

Almost all Canadian Universities (and all the good ones) are public. I go to Queen's, one of the best in Ontario, if not the country, and it costs 5k/yr for a B.A program. In general there is less difference between good and bad schools in Canada-not that there isn't a hierarchy of schools, but even the worst universities in Canada would be middle ranked American schools. OTOH the best U.S schools are better then any of the best Canadian schools, though how much better and how to compare them is open to debate.

The law schools in Canada offer a generally uniform education, there are differences in quality, but not at all like the U.S, with little emphasis on formal ranking (though there is a hierarchy of quality, and a growing divide between the best funded and less well funded schools). Once again the best U.S law schools are better then the best Canadian ones, but the good Canadian law schools are good. Certainly the University of Toronto, the best in the country is comparable to good public American law schools.

Regarding the exam-because of rolling admissions the problem is many spots would be full. But, if your score is good you could still get in.

The Overman

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am the lightning, I am the frenzy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 11:32:14 PM »
I'd say UofT law is equivalent to the lower range T-14 US schools.  It's not Harvard, but it's probably on par with schools like Virginia, Texas and Cornell.  Average LSAT for 04/05 class was 166 and GPA was 3.8.  Not too shabby!