Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: car at michigan?  (Read 530 times)

link0

• View Profile
car at michigan?
« on: May 31, 2005, 09:19:08 PM »
I would like to get rid of my car.

How is the public transportation at UMich? I will live on campus with no need for groceries or other shopping. Are the buses enough for bars? enough to/from detroit airport?

Thanks.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: car at michigan?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 09:48:57 PM »
Living in Michigan without a car is like trying to win an as$ kicking contest with one leg, it can be done, but who'd want to try. 

Seriously with your situation it might be possible, but when it comes time for summer jobs you may have trouble.

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 10:41:26 PM »
Please, not another car in Ann Arbor  ;D  As far as classes, library and the bar, you will not need a car for U of M. Parking is really awful in Ann Arbor, and driving by the law schools is crazy. The north-west corner of the Law Quad is the main crossing for undergrads, and you can sit there forever in your car waiting for them to cross the street.
Like Yorba mentioned, you will need a car for summer employment, but not for school. I had one while in undergrad there, living in South Quad across from the Law Quad, and I just kept it parked behind the athletic department area 99% of the time.

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 12:50:02 AM »
Trust me, you won't need a car.  Everything you'll want is within walking distance, even in the dead of winter.
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

whostheguy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Staring contest, you and me..now
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 09:55:01 AM »
No car
LSAT 159 GPA: 3.825

ram0036

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 12:04:47 PM »
All I know is that I couldn't survive without a car.  I would go insane staying in Ann Arbor all the time.  But then most of my friends aren't in Ann Arbor. *shrugs shoulders

Indiana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 10:43:29 PM »
I will be frank. I am currently a student at Michigan without a car.  Everything I need is within walking distance.  But, I have not strayed from an 8-block radius in 6 months.

Don't know if I could do it as a more adult, more mature law student.

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 10:37:44 AM »

How is the public transportation at UMich? I will live on campus with no need for groceries or other shopping. Are the buses enough for bars? enough to/from detroit airport?

Thanks.

You won't need a car your first year at Michigan.  If you live on the Quad, like most first-year students, you'll be next door to your classes, the library, and the dining hall.  All the bars and restaurants will be within walking distance. 

As far as summer employment goes, you'll probably be working in a larger city that has good public transportation, so this shouldn't be an issue either. 

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 03:05:55 AM »

Thanks.

You won't need a car your first year at Michigan.  If you live on the Quad, like most first-year students, you'll be next door to your classes, the library, and the dining hall.  All the bars and restaurants will be within walking distance. 

As far as summer employment goes, you'll probably be working in a larger city that has good public transportation, so this shouldn't be an issue either. 

That's true, but I also bought into that idea and it was fine, as long as I never wanted to leave downtown Ann Arbor (but I did).  You're right that it's not necessary, but it depends on what kind of person the OP is.  Unless I was somewhere like Washington, with an incredible, long range public transportation system, I would really feel boxed in, more so now than when I was 18.  It's not particulary easy managing a car if you're living at, like, Cambridge, but off campus I would seriously consider how much they're looking forward to spending 8 straight months in Ann Arbor. 

I'm also thinking that first year, most people won't have much spare time do drive around.  And I personally liked Ann Arbor, but I suppose your right that it comes down to the individual somewhat.