Law School Discussion

Tablet PC's for Law School

mxpocc

Re: Tablet PC's for Law School
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2005, 07:01:07 AM »
Point is, I had two Dells before, and always got viruses and had other problems. So, a well known brand doesnt mean it isnt a quality computer.

if you get a virus, it's your fault and not your computer's.

snikrep

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2005, 10:20:07 AM »
just remember that the 'coolness' factor will be offset by the fact your entire section will think you're a complete d0uche for having one of those things, and mock you mercilessly behind your back (and probably to your face, too).

I have a tablet and in my engineering classes the most anybody has ever said is, "Ah sweet".  I've seen a couple other ones around too - most people don't pay too much attention, high school was a long time ago.

Where tablets are pretty popular is med school - there it's exactly the opposite, you're cool if you HAVE one.  People whine about all the attention they get.

If students are making fun of somebody for what type of laptop they have... LOL, is there a reason that anybody should care?  I'd just redirect them to the daycare across the street.

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2005, 08:14:30 PM »
lots of winners in this thread.

I retract all my former statements in an effort to stay away from this faggotry

And you quite a bit below those "winners" in my esteem.

Here's what I just sent to the moderators in response your biggoted mischaracterization:

"I am offended by this poster's use of "faggotry" and its apparent acceptance by others.  I have two very close friends who are gay and are brilliant, honest, loyal, compassionate..and rather macho if you didn't know they were gay.  This use of vulgar reference to homosexuality as a form of idiocy is becoming common, an unjust and harmful trend we should all try to curb when possible."

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2005, 08:42:39 PM »
I've been researching laptops for use in law school this Fall.  I think I will probably get a tablet PC.

My reasoning goes that they better facilitate synthesizing notes and other materials, which is vital for the outline you will be creating in preparation for exams.  For example, using OneNote you can search your hand written notes for specific terms then copy that handwritten text and paste it into your outline at the appropriate place, converting the hand writing to typed text if you prefer.

Further, you can write ontop of your typed pages without printing them.  I can think of several scenarios where this might be useful.

The model I am considering is a convertible, which means it functions exactly like a laptop but can also be switched to slate mode.  It has the power of most 'regular' laptops for sale at stores like Best Buy, a full size keyboard (I have big hands), a large 14.1" screen, an internal DVD/CDW, and long battery life.  And yet, despite the tablet functionality, it is only two or three hundred dollars more than regular laptops.

Here's a link to a listing for it at Amazon.com, where it got favorable reviews from actual purchasers:
http://tinyurl.com/azs26

By the way, my thanks to all who contributed meaningfully to this thread.

Jeff

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2005, 09:32:05 PM »
The model I am considering is a convertible, which means it functions exactly like a laptop but can also be switched to slate mode.  It has the power of most 'regular' laptops for sale at stores like Best Buy, a full size keyboard (I have big hands), a large 14.1" screen, an internal DVD/CDW, and long battery life.  And yet, despite the tablet functionality, it is only two or three hundred dollars more than regular laptops.

Here's a link to a listing for it at Amazon.com, where it got favorable reviews from actual purchasers:

I saw that exact model for sale at a CompUsa in Miami last weekend.. shop around before you pay the price on Amazon.. I think they had it for less than $1500.. and I would get a 3 year service plan (Amazon only offers two years).. of course thats a personal preference.

But anyhow, I tried it out and absolutely loved it.. I'll probably be getting one too.. I'm gonna wait till August though.. I hate buying something and then a month later something cooler comes out..

I'm excited.. for the laptop and for law school..

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2005, 09:45:51 PM »

..I tried it out and absolutely loved it.. I'll probably be getting one too.. I'm gonna wait till August though.. I hate buying something and then a month later something cooler comes out..

I'm excited.. for the laptop and for law school..

Yeah, I'm becoming more enthusiastice, too.

In regard to your newer-better concer.. On the nontradlaw forum there have been several informative posts on the subject of tablet PC's.  One poster "in the know" said he was holding out for the Toshiba M4, which would be coming out soon and would be very cool.  I am not waiting, in part because I anticipate (guessing here) that it will be a good deal more expensive than the R15, and in part because I want to get my tablet PC in time to get used to using it and OneNote well before classes start.

Jeff

A.J

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2005, 02:25:54 PM »
I've been researching laptops for use in law school this Fall.  I think I will probably get a tablet PC.

My reasoning goes that they better facilitate synthesizing notes and other materials, which is vital for the outline you will be creating in preparation for exams.  For example, using OneNote you can search your hand written notes for specific terms then copy that handwritten text and paste it into your outline at the appropriate place, converting the hand writing to typed text if you prefer.

Further, you can write ontop of your typed pages without printing them.  I can think of several scenarios where this might be useful.

By the way, my thanks to all who contributed meaningfully to this thread.

Jeff

Nice find!  Ill have to look into that one. 

Also folks, talk to your prospective school.  I may be able to get one at an educational discount despite the fact that they arent ordinarily part of what the school offers.  This would include the all important software package.

giffy

• Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2005, 02:34:24 PM »
IBM is goign to be coming out with a tablet version of its X41 pretty soon. They will be announcing it the first week of MAy. I am seriously considering poicking one up to replace my Acer C110,

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2005, 10:41:55 AM »
I definitely want to get a convertible tablet PC.  There are many more appications out there besides OneNote that look great.  Even though they may cost a little more, I expect that the increased functionality (for how I plan to use it) will be worth it for me.  Right now I'm leaning towards the Fujitsu LifeBook T4010:
http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=T4&ptype=TB

There's also an event going on called DemoDays:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/demodays/default.mspx

A couple of other sites with useful information are:
http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/  (has a couple of articles on using tablet PCs in law but is down right now, supposed to be up in a day or two)
http://studenttabletpc.blogs.com/