Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TO ARMS! Florida's New Law.  (Read 2469 times)

Shardik

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil.
    • View Profile
    • Email
TO ARMS! Florida's New Law.
« on: May 31, 2005, 02:49:04 PM »
Going to school in Florida?  Out-of-state?   If you’re like me you were told that you would qualify for In-State-tuition for your second and third year.  YOU WILL NOT GET IT.  There is a new bill scheduled to become law in July.  Look here at the Florida Senate (bill 2264)   scroll down to the bill text and view the newest bill.

http://www.flsenate.gov/session/index.cfm?BI_Mode=ViewBillInfo&Mode=Bills&SubMenu=1&Year=2005&billnum=2264

The new law will prohibit you from earning in-state tuition unless you live and work full time in FL for 12 months.  Attending school during that period disqualifies you.  Other states have had this but it is new in Florida.

I sold my home in Alabama, Quit my job making good money as an educator in Georgia, gave up my seat at every other school that I was accepted, bought an apartment in Tallahassee…and all b/c I was promised in-state fees for the second and third years.  I cannot get my job back, I cannot get my home back, I cannot go to LS anywhere else and I cannot attend FSU at these prices! 

FSU in-state = $7,500.00
FSU out-state = $27,500.00

If this effects you then we need to help each other.  Call, write letters, anything you can do to express the hardship imposed by this new law.

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: TO ARMS! Florida's New Law.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 02:50:42 PM »
Did it pass? Last I heard it hadn't been signed.

Shardik

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 03:00:17 PM »
not yet.  i changed the OP to more accurately reflect that...sorry about the confusion.

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 03:02:15 PM »
not yet.  i changed the OP to more accurately reflect that...sorry about the confusion.

Congress should be getting out soon. You might be in luck.

Shardik

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 03:10:37 PM »

Congress should be getting out soon. You might be in luck.

Only one senator voted aganist the bill.  I would think it unlikely that Jeb doesn't sign it.  But we can hope! 

ACore

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - atomcore
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 03:19:01 PM »
Going to school in Florida?  Out-of-state?   If you’re like me you were told that you would qualify for In-State-tuition for your second and third year.  YOU WILL NOT GET IT.  There is a new bill scheduled to become law in July.  Look here at the Florida Senate (bill 2264)   scroll down to the bill text and view the newest bill.

http://www.flsenate.gov/session/index.cfm?BI_Mode=ViewBillInfo&Mode=Bills&SubMenu=1&Year=2005&billnum=2264

The new law will prohibit you from earning in-state tuition unless you live and work full time in FL for 12 months.  Attending school during that period disqualifies you.  Other states have had this but it is new in Florida.

I sold my home in Alabama, Quit my job making good money as an educator in Georgia, gave up my seat at every other school that I was accepted, bought an apartment in Tallahassee…and all b/c I was promised in-state fees for the second and third years.  I cannot get my job back, I cannot get my home back, I cannot go to LS anywhere else and I cannot attend FSU at these prices! 

FSU in-state = $7,500.00
FSU out-state = $27,500.00

If this effects you then we need to help each other.  Call, write letters, anything you can do to express the hardship imposed by this new law.

Ouch thats rough! I wonder how many people will end up dropping from FSU's incoming fall class because of it. I'm sure that alot of people were planning on going because of the cost benefit of the University.
Attending: FSU
In: FIU, FSU, Syracuse 
Waitlisted: UM, Penn State
Rejected: Pitt, Stetson

brutus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 03:38:13 PM »
Has anyone going to either FSU or UF from out of state asked whether they would be grandfathered in under the old law, since the decision to attend was made while it was still in effect?

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 03:46:51 PM »
Has anyone going to either FSU or UF from out of state asked whether they would be grandfathered in under the old law, since the decision to attend was made while it was still in effect?

The law still hasn't passed yet. They won't be able to give you until it does(if it does).

brutus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 03:50:52 PM »
So, the schools aren't really commenting until the law passes?  Nobody has received any information from the schools about this?

Shardik

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 04:08:37 PM »
None.  In fact FSU is still telling people that they will get the in-state rate.  (That was friday anyways)