Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When To Time Your Tests  (Read 668 times)

NYBound05

When To Time Your Tests
« on: June 06, 2004, 01:34:09 PM »
When did you guys initially (or plan to) start timing your practice lsats?  Did you do it from the get-go, once you started getting the score you desired, once you began your prep course, or none of the above?  My prep course begins early next month, but I've already taken some lsats just to see where I stand right now.  However, the first was timed whereas the second wasn't.
I don't want to be inconsistent but I'm unsure what timing road I should take.  When did you guys start timing your prep tests and why at that time?

M2

Re: When To Time Your Tests
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 01:38:52 PM »
I did it from the beginning.

I never take untimed sections if it is the first time I am taking that section.
If I am reviewing...then i usually take it untimed.

Rachelb1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 01:50:22 PM »
I was told to start timing from the beginning but a private tutor I worked with.  I thought it was a ludricous suggestion because what was the use of timing, if I didn't know what I was doing to begin with.

When I took the PS class, the recommendation was to do the first 10 hw questions untimed, the next 10 untimed, but noticing how much time it took to do all 10, the final set was to be done, timed according to LSAT specs.   After a few weeks of lessong, when I had a grasp of the basic concepts, then I started to do timed sections and tests.  I found that worked best for me

qccepted Rutgers-EWR, Touro ($$)
pending, SUNY Buffalo, Hamline, CUNY
W/l      nowhere
denied   Cardozo

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 01:53:22 PM »
I think timing all the time is useful, because the hardest part for me was to determine how much time to spend on each question.  For laughs, I did one test untimed.  I got all but two right.  My LSAT was 155 so you know I'm not Einstein come back.

For several of the tests I found myself running out of time before starting the last few tests, because I spent too much time on earlier questions.  The pacing was important.

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 01:53:53 PM »
I always time them.  But if I run out of time before I finish I still complete the section (noting where I would have started guessing) then I record both my timed and untimed score.  The goal is to narrow the gap between the two.  Of course, I only do all this for the games.