Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is Beauty?  (Read 4560 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
What is Beauty?
« on: May 31, 2005, 02:12:30 PM »
After reading this quote..  ::)

If a beautiful woman (such as lexington) were making such comments, then I might care somewhat. However, that is not the case and I couldn't care less. Actually, it reminds me of a little black girl who would try to make fun of me when I was younger because I was light brown and I had longer, prettier, and straighter hair than she did....

I began to ponder.. is beauty limited to long "pretty" straight hair and lighter skin?

slim to medium build?

Is a dark skinned woman unattractive?

or a woman that chooses to have natural hair?

or short hair?

Women/ men what is your definition of beauty??

do you think that the above quote perpetuates the very self hatred of blacks that we've discussed many times on this board?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: What is Beauty?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 02:47:27 PM »
I have to admit ...

I know beatific started this whole debate with her light skin/hair comments but I feel that on the black girl thread it turned a little bit into teasing the light-skinned girls  :(

There should not be so much arguing over skin color in the black community. No one is better than anyone else just because they have more white genes, or vice versa.
No, beauty is not limited to long hair and light skin, IMO.
My grandmother makes comments about people having "good hair" or "keen noses," which bothers me because I think she was raised to think those white characteristics are beautiful.

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 02:55:53 PM »
why do you think that the thread turned into teasing of light skinned girls? i'm a bit confused there...

my grandmother was fair skinned.. and there are many different hues within my family...i'd never disrespect a woman based on skin color..

beatific did however..

I wasn't arguing over skin color and i don't think that anyone else was either (save beatific)..she's the individual that chose to even bring that up in the midst of conversation..

and that was silly..and as i said it perpetuates the issues of self hatred that we've been discussion on this board...

and you're right dbgirl your grandmother was definitely raised during a time where those images were seen as "more beautiful"...

my grandmother's sister had issues with her complexion as well because she was darker than her sisters and had shorter hair.. people used to tease her about it when she was growing up in the early 1900s
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 03:07:13 PM »
I guess it wasn't intended to be light-girl bashing, (more bashing what Beatific said) I guess I'm just sensitive.

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 03:10:08 PM »
what she said was inappropriate..tactless..and foul... and she knows this...

I am sorry that you originally interpreted it the wrong way..

I guess it wasn't intended to be light-girl bashing, (more bashing what Beatific said) I guess I'm just sensitive.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 03:20:00 PM »
blonde, blue eyes, milky white skin, modest backside and ample bussoms.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

seu2002

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 03:41:32 PM »
rbg,  >:(

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 03:46:50 PM »
I kid, I kid.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 04:12:55 PM »
come on now folks..this is a serious thread...

Made4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • "to boldly go, where no man has gone before"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 04:30:48 PM »
Beauty can be perceived in soooo many ways...Amerie, Free (a$$ for days), Beyonce, Sade, Rosario Dawson (whoa), Vida Guerra,etc...I can go on for days ;D are all beautiful in their own way.  Also, confidence and attitude can be more beautiful than looks...We have all been around people male and female, that once you get to know them they begin to physically look better to you because their personality is so overwhelming, you begin to notice those very subtle beauty elements that may not be apparent initially. Like someones's smile or the slope of their back or the way they hold their hand when you pass them the forty  ;)
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy."