Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Come testday...you must fight for your rights!!  (Read 1366 times)

M2

Come testday...you must fight for your rights!!
« on: June 06, 2004, 01:29:31 PM »
I have heard many horror stories about idiot proctors that don't know LSAT regulations.
My powerscore teacher told me of one instance where the proctors told people "timers are not allowed" and another one where they were shorting people 5-10 min by asking them for ID during the test...

The striking thing about these instances is that only a few people spoke up to say that timers were allowed...and that each section was 35 min..
There are many other stories too..

Was anyone here aware that they are allowed to start timing BEFORE they read the section instructions?
One person got shorted 2 min on a game section because the proctor was a really slow reader.
RIDICULOUS!!

If anyone tries to take my noiseless timer they are gonna have to peel it from my cold dead hands...

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Come testday...you must fight for your rights!!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 02:00:33 PM »
Was anyone here aware that they are allowed to start timing BEFORE they read the section instructions?
One person got shorted 2 min on a game section because the proctor was a really slow reader.
RIDICULOUS!!

Are you sure about this?  That seems really unfair.  It kind defeats the purpose of a STANDARDIZED test if some pople get 33min and others get 35min.  On games EVERY minute counts!!

M2

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 02:04:20 PM »
RIDICULOUS!!

Are you sure about this?  That seems really unfair.  It kind defeats the purpose of a STANDARDIZED test if some pople get 33min and others get 35min.  On games EVERY minute counts!!

I swear to you that this is true.
I was as shocked as you...

It is ridiculous but i have been told by several people that it can and does happen sometimes...

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 03:04:55 PM »
RIDICULOUS!!

I swear to you that this is true.
I was as shocked as you...

It is ridiculous but i have been told by several people that it can and does happen sometimes...

Hmmm... I wonder if someone could ask the proctor before hand.  COuld I go up to the proctor and say "LSAC says you can either read the instructions before or after the time starts, would you mine reading them before so we have a full 35min?"

M2

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 03:08:11 PM »
I wonder if the LSAC has an official policy about this?
My understanding is that it is because there is no official policy that proctors often do this...

Maybe If I contacted the LSAt and got them to say that they have an official policy NOT to do this..then I could bring that in to the testcenter and make sure they follow it.

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 03:24:47 PM »
THat's what I meant when I said that this can't be true.  LSAC has to have an official policy.  The proctors can't just do what they want.  I really doubt they would be vague on a point like this. 

M2

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 04:51:25 PM »
Something else I have heard is that the proctors don't always use a stopwatch.
They often use a cell phone or DIGITAL watch. This means that you could be shorted one minute...

Dilettante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 05:51:15 PM »
Great, something more to worry about on test day.

I'm taking the test at a 'temporary test center', at the Hyatt in downtown San Francisco.  I wonder if the fact that it is temporary means I'll have an inexperienced, ill-prepared proctor.

I will not accept losing any portion of my test time for clock abnormalities or reading of directions.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 07:29:07 PM »
I'm taking the test at Boston U School of Law, and I'm pretty sure they're a permenant testing center, and offer the LSAT every year. 

Are proctors supposed to read the instructions, and are these the instructions the main instructions for the lsat, or for each section?  I mean, what's the point?  We're taking a friggin exam to get into law school.  I think if  we couldn't read the intructions on the test, law schools would be grateful if we screwed up and save them the time rejecting our applications.

M2

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 07:32:18 PM »
I was refering to them reading the instructions before each section "the questions in this section are based on...."
They read these instructions and then say "you may start". The thing is sometimes they start timing right before.

The problem is that in all likelihood only the "Head Proctor" is very familiar with the LSAC rules, and the rest of the proctors are most likely temp-workers.