• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - jeffgdula@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • View Profile
    • JeffGdula.com
Baylor
« on: May 31, 2005, 12:03:40 PM »
Well after deciding on Miami I got a late acceptance to Baylor.  Even this didn't change my mind.  I was set on being a Hurricane until checking out the housing market last week.  I am probably a bit spoiled by living in Texas where everything is new and cheap.  Even so, I didn't find much livable (perhaps only by my admittedly high standards) in Miami for less than around $1800 for a 1 bedroom.  This (among other things) have convinced me to accept the challenge Baylor offers.  I will be close to my family and where I would like to practice, save a ton of money, and still be able to go to UT football games.

I really liked the campus at, and city of, Miami.  As excited as I was about being there next year it just really doesn't make much sense for me to go there over Baylor.  Perhaps I will regret my decision at times, but I think the peace of mind afforded me by living in Texas should more than make up for it.

On another note, I have found an awesome new apartment complex to live in in Waco and will be looking for a possible roommate.  I am very clean and wouldn't mind (and in many aspects would prefer) to live with a female.  Let me know if you are interested.

NathanB

Re: Baylor
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 12:39:27 PM »
Baylor is a good school, if a bit on the odd side being that it is baptist.  They do have a really nice campus, and the law facility is brand spanking new.

Course, they've had their problems recently, but they seem to be emerging from all that.

Nathan

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 12:46:10 PM »
Baylor is a good school, but it is not for everybody. For one thing, they are very litigation focused and require many more classes and thus offer fewer electives. Also, they're on the quarter system, which means every ten weeks, you're taking an exam

jeffgdula

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - jeffgdula@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • View Profile
    • JeffGdula.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 12:59:23 PM »
Yeah, being from Texas I have heard alot about the school.  I don't really like quarters but that certainy is not a reason not to attend.  Also, I don't love the litigation focus as it is not what I see myself doing, but I think I will be good at it and maybe end up liking it.  But when I picture my ideal law school I do prefer the more academic approach to teaching because I think I am practical enough to convert that knowledge into the real world practice without having to be told step by step how to.

ellie

• Sr. Citizen
  • The ever judicious Judge Baylor
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ellie3113
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 02:06:56 PM »
I understand your apprehensions about Baylor.  I'm gung ho and still have some of the same worries.  What apartment complex were you planning on?

Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things.

Baylor Bound, Fall '05

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 08:59:29 PM »
The biggest problem with Baylor is the out of control 13.7% attrition rate.  It is my understanding that most of those are drop outs, and it has one of the worst curves in the nation.  Not that you'd ever go into law school thinking you could drop out, but that 13.7% will permeate the school's attitude.
USD 2L

moynkr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 10:44:15 PM »
Which apt complex did you like?  I am also looking for a place and kinda fell in love with LL Sams lofts but they are pricey and small - although its really the price that bothers me. 

Everything else that I saw on my (very) brief trip was either skeezy or didnt offer a one bedroom place.  I'd love to know where all you've looked and your impressions - good and bad.
Attending Baylor in Spring 2006

Wake Forest Grad

Currently bartending in San Antonio

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 10:35:10 AM »
Yeah I hope you are going to Baylor with your eyes wide open. It's very competitive. It has a lot of second and third generation lawyers. The curve is awful. The attrition rate is also due to the fact that the people who get to the top of the class after first year usually transferred to UT or SMU. I know a few people who transferred from Baylor to UT. One person was #6 in the class with a just a 3.5. So UT is aware of Baylor's low curve. The worst thing about Baylor which is no way their fault. But for all the hell the students go through they don't get much respect or access to broad hiring across the state of Texas like UT. The school also isn't located in city or big legal market like UH. So people who finish in the middle of the class at Baylor have limited options.

The biggest problem with Baylor is the out of control 13.7% attrition rate.  It is my understanding that most of those are drop outs, and it has one of the worst curves in the nation.  Not that you'd ever go into law school thinking you could drop out, but that 13.7% will permeate the school's attitude.

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 01:39:14 PM »
I visited and sat in on a few classes at Baylor.  Like the other posters said--just get ready, because it's unlike ANY other law school I've ever visited or heard of (and I visited over a dozen schools and researched over 50).

I would HIGHLY recommend that you sit in on some classes before you commit to Baylor over Miami.  I was dead set on attending due to a full scholarship, and was only visiting to, in my mind, seal the deal, but after sitting in on 3L practice court and a 1L and 2L class, I knew it wasn't for me.  It will be entirely impossible for you to practice anywhere other than Texas (and mostly east Texas at that).  If you visit their Career Services office like I did, and take a look at the firms that recruit at Baylor, they're almost all mid-sized Texas-only firms that litigate in Personal Injury, Product Liability, Insurance, and other white-collar crime venues.  If you want to do anything other than that, I wouldn't expect any help from Baylor Career Services or On Campus Interviews. 

I, like you, enjoy a more "academic" approach to learning, and that's why I chose Washington & Lee over Baylor (also due to 30% tuition at W&L). 

But anyway, like I said, MAKE SURE YOU SIT IN ON CLASSES BEFORE COMMITTING, it'll open your eyes to how much Baylor really is a rigorous 3-year Texas Bar Exam prep course (and this is a positive for some people) rather than a traditional law school.