Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Crash - The Movie  (Read 5899 times)

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Crash - The Movie
« on: May 30, 2005, 11:06:38 PM »
Has anyone seen this? Thoughts?

Several stories interweave during two days in Los Angeles involving a collection of inter-related characters: a black police detective with a drugged out mother and a car-thieving younger brother, the brother and his partner-in-crime who is constantly theorizing on society and race, the distracted district attorney and his irritated and pampered wife, a racist veteran cop (caring for a sick father at home) who disgusts his more idealistic younger partner, a successful black Hollywood director and his wife who must deal with racist cop, a Iranian-immigrant father who buys a gun to protect his shop, an Hispanic locksmith and his young daughter who is afraid of bullets, and more.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679/

Talk about racial tensions. I thought it was a very good movie and said a lot of things that people wouldn't dare say in public, let alone big actors. I was surpirsed by how the cast gave themselves over to their roles. Sandra Bullock's character was such a racist, primadonna female dog--and she did it so well.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
Re: Crash - The Movie
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 11:30:14 PM »
I didn't think Sandra's character was any more racist than anyone else in the movie.  If anything, Ludacris' character was the biggest racist.  But I also agree that it was a great movie.. it painted life like it is: difficult, filled with bigots, socioeconomic status determining everything.  great film, sorta snaps you out of whatever happy dream you're living in.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 11:47:50 PM »
I didn't think Sandra's character was any more racist than anyone else in the movie.  If anything, Ludacris' character was the biggest racist.  But I also agree that it was a great movie.. it painted life like it is: difficult, filled with bigots, socioeconomic status determining everything.  great film, sorta snaps you out of whatever happy dream you're living in.

I agree with you. Thing thing about Sandra Bullock's character that made it so surprising was that she usually plays such sugar-sweet characters.

The film really pulls you in and gets to you emotionally.

Made4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • "to boldly go, where no man has gone before"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 01:20:49 AM »
This was one of the best movies I've seen in years...The way they bounce back and forth and how everyone's life is inter-connected, really made you pay attention to the details of the movie...

Edit: I also thought Luda did a excellent job, especially since he was surrounded by so many great actors, he just fell right into step...
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy."

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 01:33:26 AM »
A friend told me this movie was awesome and I want to see it.  Is it in theaters or something?  How could I see it in SC?

It's in the smaller theatres. It's been on the top 10 list for at least 3-4 weeks now. So you should be able to find it. Go to moviefone or fandango and search for it in your area.

By the way, Ludacris DOES do a great job. And the set ups for some of his lines are so ironic and hilarious. I was very impressed with him. He makes up for all of the bad that JaRule does to rappers-turned-actors.

Made4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • "to boldly go, where no man has gone before"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 01:36:02 AM »
A friend told me this movie was awesome and I want to see it.  Is it in theaters or something?  How could I see it in SC?

It's in the smaller theatres. It's been on the top 10 list for at least 3-4 weeks now. So you should be able to find it. Go to moviefone or fandango and search for it in your area.

By the way, Ludacris DOES do a great job. And the set ups for some of his lines are so ironic and hilarious. I was very impressed with him. He makes up for all of the bad that JaRule does to rappers-turned-actors.

You are right about the Ja Rule part...I avoid anything (movie related) with Ja Rule involved...It just means disaster if his name is anywhere near the credits...
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy."

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 02:39:35 AM »
My boyfriend thought this movie was over the top hitting people in the head with racist thoughts. I think people really do think all of those things even if they don't say it out loud.

I found the end particularly interesting.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

blaqueangel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 09:02:24 AM »
 I thought it was an excellent movie. Before I saw the movie, I read the reviews in which critics stated that the movie was "over the top" or "too in your face". I disagree. I love that the movie attempts to make people question their own prejudices. People often think they are so darn open minded, but when push comes to shove they realize they aren't. I loved the point that Matt Dillon's character made to Ryan Phillipe's character about how he doesn't really know who he is and until he's been a cop for 17 yrs and seen all that Matt Dillon's character has seen, he shouldn't judge him. And then in the end, it came around full circle. Ryan Phillipe's character realized his own prejudices were lying right under the surface.

What I especially loved about the movie was that it didn't end with a pretty little bow. Life still sucks and people are still racist and one must keep trudging on.

DirtySouth05

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 12:53:24 PM »
SPOILERS!!
Do not scroll down if you have not seen the movie and do not want parts of it ruined!
SPOILER!

Did anyone else pick up on the vibes between the D.A. (Brendan Frasier) and his assistant (Nona Gaye)? My friends and i have argued about this but I am convinced something was going on between the 2. They seemed to be having an affair.
In the begining his wife complains that the his assistant is always calling.
The very last seen when his wife is telling him she loves him, he rushes her off the phone and shares some knowing looks with his assistant. He gets on the elevator and leaves, but she waits for the 2nd elevator before leaving as if not to be seen together.

Any thoughts?

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 12:56:45 PM »
I thought they were probably having an affair, but it was definitely left open to interpretation.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php