Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The underrated writing sample for LSAT  (Read 2574 times)

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: The underrated writing sample for LSAT
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2004, 11:02:02 AM »
So wait... You're saying dotting my i's with hearts is a bad thing... damn... now I'm gonna have to retrain my brain yet again.

Seriously.  I have a problem, I write in allcaps, does anyone see a problem with this?  Besides it's slow as hell? 

i have the same problem...writing in all caps (but i never capitalize when typing...go figure).  but i did this anyway on the writing portion and i still had time to read over what i wrote. 

if you practice the writing section once and run out of time, you might want to consider changing to lowercase.  otherwise, i dont see it as much of a problem.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2004, 01:01:33 PM »
So wait... You're saying dotting my i's with hearts is a bad thing... damn... now I'm gonna have to retrain my brain yet again.

Seriously.  I have a problem, I write in allcaps, does anyone see a problem with this?  Besides it's slow as hell? 

i have the same problem...writing in all caps (but i never capitalize when typing...go figure).  but i did this anyway on the writing portion and i still had time to read over what i wrote. 

if you practice the writing section once and run out of time, you might want to consider changing to lowercase.  otherwise, i dont see it as much of a problem.

Thanks, that's reassuring
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

Rachelb1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2004, 09:00:21 AM »
I heard a good point made about the writing sample.  Since LSAC is doing a field test in July on a SCORED writing section (ooh that would be so great for my score),
it might not be such a bad idea to reconsider the view that "no one pays attention to it.

qccepted Rutgers-EWR, Touro ($$)
pending, SUNY Buffalo, Hamline, CUNY
W/l      nowhere
denied   Cardozo

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2004, 09:03:27 AM »
Shhhh... don't say that to loud the schools may hear you ;)

I heard a good point made about the writing sample.  Since LSAC is doing a field test in July on a SCORED writing section (ooh that would be so great for my score),
it might not be such a bad idea to reconsider the view that "no one pays attention to it.

sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

Rachelb1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2004, 09:05:45 AM »
Sorry about my truncated post.  Pressed the wrong key on the keyboard.

Anyway, I did read an interview with an Adcom in which he stated that he did read writing samples.  With all these Personal Statement editing services abounding, he said that the WS gave him a point of comparison.

Even though one is certainly tired and spent after the LSAT, if someone writes an impeccable PS, but in their WS, can't string two coherent sentences together, it could lend some credence to the Adcom's view.

That's my two cents worth.

Rachel

qccepted Rutgers-EWR, Touro ($$)
pending, SUNY Buffalo, Hamline, CUNY
W/l      nowhere
denied   Cardozo

Silversoma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Me at Radiohead- Thunderbird Stadium, August/03
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2004, 06:32:50 PM »
I agree with Rachel.  I think it is dangerous to assume that no one is going to look at your writing sample, though I also do not believe that it is something to lose sleep over, either.

Some food for thought... Skittles tells me that it is important to be able to read and comprehend massive amounts of material in a relatively short period of time, which I completely agree with.  As for the writing sample, however, I think that it is also an important skill for a law student to be able to construct a coherent argument, and be able to present that argument in a precise and economic manner within a short period of time (has anyone here ever been to a debate/model UN/mooting competition?)  Believe me, writing skills are important :)
Practice LSATs so far: 156 155 157 155 157 161 162 161 155 155 160 164 166 161 170 166 168 160 163 162 172

LSAT's finished... I don't have to think about law school for a year now.
********* GO Team Canada GO!!!!! ***********