Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The underrated writing sample for LSAT  (Read 2593 times)

nathanielmark

Re: The underrated writing sample for LSAT
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 08:44:29 PM »
Skittles i cant spell either.  you actually just boosted my self-esteeem a little bit.

Thanks!

We had to do two of these for the MCAT, it's easier than you think.  Just make an outline first and make sure you're keeping good time. 

I'm just worried about my spelling.  I really can't spell at all.  I still don't know if arguement is spelled "arguement" or "argument." IT's really pathetic.  And I've tried to learn how to spell but for some reason I just never get the hang of it.  So when I write spontaneously I have to try to use only words I know how to spell... which limits my vocabulary to like the fifth grade level.

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 10:40:26 PM »
Skittles i cant spell either.  you actually just boosted my self-esteeem a little bit.

Thanks!

We had to do two of these for the MCAT, it's easier than you think.  Just make an outline first and make sure you're keeping good time. 

I'm just worried about my spelling.  I really can't spell at all.  I still don't know if arguement is spelled "arguement" or "argument." IT's really pathetic.  And I've tried to learn how to spell but for some reason I just never get the hang of it.  So when I write spontaneously I have to try to use only words I know how to spell... which limits my vocabulary to like the fifth grade level.

Awesome... we pathetic spellers need to stick together!

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2004, 11:09:15 PM »
I spent years of my left spelling the word "whent"... and I still cannot spell that place you go to eat out for dinner.  Rest(a|u)r(a|u)nt
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 12:13:56 AM »
Write as illegible as you can, and fill the whole page.

When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2004, 12:41:04 AM »
I spent years of my left spelling the word "whent"... and I still cannot spell that place you go to eat out for dinner.  Rest(a|u)r(a|u)nt

lol.. yeah, well... quit, quiet, and quite are all the same word to me.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2004, 08:04:07 AM »
Actually, writing illegibly is one of the worst things you can do.  The advice my powerscore instructor gave us was that basically, they probably won't read your writing sample, but most likely, they'll glance at it.  And in that glance, there's a couple of glaring problems that could put you in not so favorable of a light.  If it's scribbled and looks like your physician wrote it, it'll stand out.  If you dot your i's with a little cutsy heart, and generally it looks like a 5th grade girl wrote your essay, it'll stand out.  If you blatently use big words to impress, and then spell one of your 8 letter words wrong, it'll stand out.  Spelling, yes, while a worry, may not reflect too poorly on you.  They do realize that you've just taken an enitre lsat, you're still under time constraints, and your brain is mush.  If you spell a nifty word wrong in the first sentence, however, it'll stand out.

So my strategy for the writing sample is to make it neat, try not to misspell anything, esp in the beginning or end of paragraph, and aim for at least half a page.  I'll probably hit somewhere around the three quarters mark, but again, anything less than half will stand out.

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2004, 09:19:28 AM »
So wait... You're saying dotting my i's with hearts is a bad thing... damn... now I'm gonna have to retrain my brain yet again.

Seriously.  I have a problem, I write in allcaps, does anyone see a problem with this?  Besides it's slow as hell? 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2004, 09:33:43 AM »
Maybe you should make a conscious effort to NOT write in all caps anymore.  Not suggesting that you can fix it for next monday, but I could see how it would be a problem as a lawyer...not being able to write quickly while taking notes in a deposition or at trial could be problematic, and there are situations where taking notes on a laptop are not acceptable, so it's something you should think of for the long run.

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2004, 09:48:53 AM »
Good point.  something to consider June 15th ;)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2004, 10:23:45 AM »
Exactly.  It's not like we all don't have enough to worry about on the 14th, right?  :)