Law School Discussion

Last day of work

$ones

• View Profile
Last day of work
« on: May 30, 2005, 01:56:02 PM »
Suddenly and out of the blue, I quit my job today. I offered a week's notice but my boss told me to beat it. I had 3 months left on a gov't contract.

My job was unchallenging, boring, but cushy. I was getting fat and lazy surfing the net and eating grease all day -- so I said @#!* it! I am a free man as of 5:00 pm today!!

NathanB

Re: Last day of work
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 04:39:16 PM »
Well, congratulations.  I think.

What are you going to do now?

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 07:23:49 PM »
i had a boss just like that.  if you told him you were giving your 2 weeks, he'd kick you to the curb so he didn't have to pay you.  on one hand i can see that he may feel you'd be dead weight for those 3 months but on the other hand, you probably put in a lot of hours for him. 

i think that may be illegal actually and you may be entitled to unemployment or a severance from the company.  i don't know for sure (mainly because i'm not in law school yet), but i would like into it if you're bored...

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 09:24:52 PM »
Suddenly and out of the blue, I quit my job today. I offered a week's notice but my boss told me to beat it. I had 3 months left on a gov't contract.

My job was unchallenging, boring, but cushy. I was getting fat and lazy surfing the net and eating grease all day -- so I said #@!* it! I am a free man as of 5:00 pm today!!

Maybe you can collect some unemployment....since it sounds like you were let go

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 04:35:17 PM »
ahh this really worries me.  I am planning on giving my two weeks notice, but I am scared they will fire me on the spot, although I am leaning towards thinking they wont.  anyway, i will be really upset if they do because I will lose my signing bonus for not staying an entire year and I would have quit a month earlier if that was the case .

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 07:03:43 PM »
don't give your two weeks.  just make up something like your aunt's brother's cousin's dog's fiancee's sister-in-law died.  leave and say you are suffering from depression.  they wouldn't have the audacity to take your bonus.

i make no sense

ACore

• AOL Instant Messenger - atomcore
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 06:32:41 AM »
I can't take it. My job is so mind numbing that I just decided to move my resignation date up almost a month. As of July 8th, I will be unemployed. I will be unproductive at home now instead of unproductive at work. BOAH!

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 08:43:28 AM »
Maybe he was trying to be nice by letting you go early?  You wouldn't have been able to collect if you voluntarily resigned.  Well, I doubt it...but it does mean you should be able to collect unemployment now.  Depending on your salary, being able to collect UI until school starts might be worth more than your 2 weeks anyway. 

naomi288

• soon to be St John's 1L
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 06:44:18 PM »
I can't take it. My job is so mind numbing that I just decided to move my resignation date up almost a month. As of July 8th, I will be unemployed. I will be unproductive at home now instead of unproductive at work. BOAH!

july 8th is my last day too! but they already know i am leaving so its not s bid deal

$ones

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 10:00:09 PM »
Just got back from 3 days of absolute nothin..

I'll look into the unemployment, just for fun.. not sure if I'll pursue just cuz of the headache; with me resigning first, I'm sure it'll be messy..

congrats to all the early quitters hahaha...