Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why so few female partners at top firms?  (Read 3999 times)

ErinKG

• View Profile
Re: Why so few female partners at top firms?
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2005, 10:56:31 PM »
My solution to having to juggle kids and work - tubal ligation. I had one back in April and I am liberated! I will never have to worry about accidentally getting pregnant with a brat!

I think that any woman that wants kids and wants to be partner is crazy. You can't do both right in that kind of situation. We have to make choices in life and we all know that we can't have everything. There is not enough time in the day to be a good mother and do what needs to be done to be a partner.

Erin

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2005, 09:12:11 AM »
My solution to having to juggle kids and work - tubal ligation. I had one back in April and I am liberated! I will never have to worry about accidentally getting pregnant with a brat!

It's good to know what you want.  Many women feel social pressure to have kids, but there is no shame in knowing you don't want children and taking the necessary steps to ensure you won't accidentally get pregnant. 

However, I don't agree that mothers can't be successful career women.  Someone once said, "A woman can have it all, just not all at once," and I believe that.  From my early 20s to mid-30s I devoted myself to raising my kids and creating a loving home environment for them.  I was a girl scout leader, school volunteer, sunday school teacher, etc.  Now that my kids are older and my husband's retired and at home, I'm going for the career with no hesitation or regrets.  By the time I'm even considered for partner, my kids will be in law school themselves.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2005, 05:37:05 PM »
so how did we get from "lack of female partner at big law" to "EU is irrelevant"?

:D

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2005, 08:12:29 PM »
Apparently through a hypo which brought up vacation time, which led to cross-country comparisons, which led to the Western European-style welfare state, etc.

I notice threads tend to get hijacked quite often here.  ::)
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein