Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Picking where you want to go to law school is picking where you want to live?  (Read 1545 times)

Victor

Some people go across the country just go to law school, but isnt that risky? I mean lets say i'm from NY and I go to school in CA, I place I've never been before, how would I adjust. Plus how will I know about the area? if its a city area/urban/rural. If its a quiet or high crime area. If I go to law school i'm basically forced to live there all my life.

How do people do it? Is there some program that allows students to take trips to schools across the country to help their decision in picking a law school? Or do people just stay suprised? If so how do you plan your living arrangements?

I've been in the NYC area all my life but I wouldnt mind living some where else. As a matter fact, I would actually consider that since rent is so high over here.

barchk

• View Profile
I'm moving from Delaware to Michigan in the fall.  Luckily, I will be living on campus which simplifies the move a bit, as I don't have to go out early to find housing.  But I did visit in the spring before committing myself to three years in a state I had never visited.
I have no plans to live in Michigan for the rest of my life.  If you choose a "national" school you can more or less choose where you want to live and practice.  The majority of Michigan grads practice in New York, and many go to Chicago, California and D.C.

jgruber

Unless you pick a national school, going to LS in one place and practicing in another will limit opportunities.  You know, networking and stuff like that.

M2

Im in NYC but I am seriously considering moving to CA to go to law school...
The problem is I have never even been to Cali...  :-X

jgruber

Im in NYC but I am seriously considering moving to CA to go to law school...
The problem is I have never even been to Cali...  :-X

Hmmmmmm. That's a tuffie.  A northeasterner can have trouble adjusting to California.

M2

Actually Im technically a south-easterner...

I lived in Florida for 19 years, and just moved to NYC 5 years ago.

I guess I should have mentioned that

jgruber

Actually Im technically a south-easterner...

I lived in Florida for 19 years, and just moved to NYC 5 years ago.

I guess I should have mentioned that

Oh.  What part of Florida?  If it's Miami or surronding area, California might not be such a drastic change.

onehandedreader

• Sr. Citizen
  • Balzac, Jaws of Death
    • View Profile
    • how real can one keep it?
    • Email
If I go to law school i'm basically forced to live there all my life.

first of all, i wouldn't recommend going someplace if you haven't at least visited the region before, unless you're committed to spending a few years there no matter how you like it. 

a big misconception about the regional law school is that you'd better be ready to spend your life working in that area where you finish school.  if you set yourself up right during your summer employments, for example if you have ties to new york and are able to find a job there during the summer before you graduate, you may be able to work it.  however, even if you do end up with a firm in the area of your school, alot of them have offices in several cities, sometimes even nationwide worldwide.  also, after a few years, your work experience will dictate your opportunities much more than the school you went to.  i've heard that after putting in some time at a firm in the area you went to school, you can apply for another job elsewhere and all they'll look at is how you handled your previous employment.

also, remember- people from the east coast sometimes have a hard time adjusting to the way we do things in california, especially little things like driving.  in souther CA, the weather and surroundings more than make up for it.
www.antihumanity.com
how real can one keep it?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
This is true.  Picking a law school most often times means that you will be in that area for the long haul.  This is because most people don't want to take the bar more than once after they finish law school and end up working in whatever state they went to law school in.

I myself, for example, am from Kansas City, and will be attending law school on the east coast in Jersey. However, I have no plans on living in jersey after law school. To be honest I'd prefer to live and work in DC. I have plans on taking the Maryland & New York Bar exams at the end of law school so that I can wave into DC.

As far as picking a place to live...funny you should mention that because I happen to be doing that right now as we speak.  I had to fly back out to Jersey/New York to find a place. I'm not gonna lie, its been tough. Particularly b/c I don't know a damn soul who lives in jersey.  I only have friends who stay in New York close by, and like many new yorkers, they don't know the first thing about Jersey except that its over there somewhere. [pointing to the west]

I can only suggest contacting the school. My school offers the option of staying on campus and I could have done that but I was an RA for a couple years before at a dorm and while it was a lot of fun & adventure in undergrad, I'm not trying to be back in that environment for law school, so i'm looking off campus. If your school offers on campus living you may want to consider it, at least for the first year until you are familiar with the area.

I seem to only be able to do things the hard way, choosing to be off campus, so it forces me to physically have to come out here, look at a place, judge the neighborhood for myself in person, and make a decision.  I'll let you know how it goes after the next couple of days since I have a few places to look at.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Duner

• MSN Messenger - jkorduner@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LSUConnMan
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jkorduner
    • View Profile
    • Duner's LSU Law Blog
    • Email
cali sucks
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 02:26:24 PM »
I always wanted to move from the east coast to california...now that i'm here i can't wait to leave. I thought it would be sort of like a david lee roth video...instead i got cheech and chong mixed with dazed and confused!