Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Non-Trad Testosterone Thread... What's better than Law School?  (Read 2535 times)

Presumptive Decline

• View Profile
Re: Non-Trad Testosterone Thread... What's better than Law School?
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 10:38:35 AM »

It sounds like IT has been good to you, and I'm curious as to why you'd leave.

IT has been very good to me.  I'm 34 and doing very well in IT (never laid off, good salary, etc...)

I decided to leave IT because of the recent changes that I see in the industry, specifically

1.  More work going overseas.  It's not a concern now, but I don't want to be 50+ and suddenly find myself unemployable.
2.  Related to #1, as more work goes overseas there will be more people competing for fewer jobs over here, which Economics 101 says means wages will decline.  Not where I want to be in my prime earning years.
3.  The U.S. seems determined to be a place where no more innovation occurs, unless it happens at Microsoft, Sun, or some other established company.  The introduction of Business Process Patents in the 1990's, the DCMA, the perpetual copyright extentions, and the recent de facto removal of the Sony safe harbor makes for a very unfriendly environment for new technology.

newhopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 12:44:54 PM »
Let me give my spill...

I also worked in IT (seems like the trend is catching on).  I grew to dislike it and just got tired of it.  Kind of like what he/she said above, I didn't want to go through the next round of certs/training.  I worked in Email & DNS Administration.... yeah, fun.  I also got tired of the 3am pages and calls saying "XXXX is down".  Wasn't doing too bad, right under 100k in a large metro city. 

Unlike some of you others, I had never attempted the college thing.  When I decided to pursue law, I had to REALLY PURSUE LAW.  I will be finishing my UG next spring/summer and starting law school in the fall.

What am I really doing this for... I know it sounds cliche, but I really do have a story to tell.  I gave it all up to do this, in the interst of "PUBLIC INTEREST".  I want to work for the little people.

~newhopeful
Nontrad, URM, 5 yrs WE, LSAT=176, UGPA=2.5 (had a terrible first transitional year, completing UG in 3 years)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=newhopeful

SkullTatt

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 11:32:46 PM »
I am currently in IT... doing pretty well, better than a lot of the starting salaries I see out there for attorneys (excluding "BIGLAW", of course.) But let's state the obvious, IT IS BORING AND IT SUCKS!

Plus, IT people get no respect, they are treated like drones by managers who know nothing and get treated (and paid) as if they know everything. It's all f*cked up, at least where I work.

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 11:41:51 PM »
I am currently in IT... doing pretty well, better than a lot of the starting salaries I see out there for attorneys (excluding "BIGLAW", of course.) But let's state the obvious, IT IS BORING AND IT SUCKS!

Plus, IT people get no respect, they are treated like drones by managers who know nothing and get treated (and paid) as if they know everything. It's all f*cked up, at least where I work.

That was the case where I worked.  In my last performance review, I was able to document that I contributed at least three times my salary+benefits to the company's bottom line.  These people had so many things screwed up with their systems that their accounting was completely buggered up.  They had no clue if they were coming or going.

Of course, I was laid off.  Why?  A merger went through and the system I knew "lost" to the other system.  I don't blame them for that, but I was pissed for being shot out of the saddle, especially since I paid for myself for the current year and the next two!!!

newhopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 12:07:57 AM »
Do any of you IT prospects think we are at a disadvantage b/c so many people are leaving IT to further their education?  Even w/Law School?  Do you think it is not an issue what field we are coming from?
Nontrad, URM, 5 yrs WE, LSAT=176, UGPA=2.5 (had a terrible first transitional year, completing UG in 3 years)

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 12:38:46 AM »
Do any of you IT prospects think we are at a disadvantage b/c so many people are leaving IT to further their education?  Even w/Law School?  Do you think it is not an issue what field we are coming from?

Clarify.

newhopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005, 12:44:32 AM »
Do you think Adcomms will see people leaving IT and think we are not serious about law?  Do you think they will just see us as looking to law as a wayout?

I kind of thought about it before I left my job.  I just started working towards my UG 2 years ago.

SkullTatt

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005, 01:54:47 AM »
Do any of you IT prospects think we are at a disadvantage b/c so many people are leaving IT to further their education?  Even w/Law School? 

It has definitely occurred to me that a lot of people are "jumping ship" from IT to law school. The Adcoms have to have noticed it. That said, I think the tech skills we have are a plus in the legal world, to some small degree at least, where lots of people are very smart but have never opened up a computer.

newhopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005, 02:27:14 AM »
Very true.  I didn't look at it that way.  You make a good point.  I wasn't really going to go into too much detail about my specific IT experience, but it might be worth talking about since I am an African American woman.  Even as a woman it has to be worth mentioning, doublely troublesome for an AA woman. 

Cool... <<<cheesing and my wringing hands>>>

Presumptive Decline

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2005, 10:46:35 AM »
Do you think Adcomms will see people leaving IT and think we are not serious about law?  Do you think they will just see us as looking to law as a wayout?

I kind of thought about it before I left my job.  I just started working towards my UG 2 years ago.

I'm starting law school in about 14 days.  I don't think it hurts too much.  It just means that you aren't as unique as you thought you might be.