Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Non-Trad Testosterone Thread... What's better than Law School?  (Read 2597 times)

HolyDung

Ok, enough of the sugar-coating that law school is the path of all happiness.  The non-trads are obviously older with more life experiences and insights into other career paths.  You probably also know that law school is only one of many options to seek heaven (read $$$) on earth, but with a cost.

Now, for all you alpha-type people out there who are going to law school for the competitive and earning potential aspects, this is your thread to abuse the gracious ear of other posters.  No need for social niceties.  Please take a moment and discuss, what you currently do (and earning potential if comfortable), what options you are forgoing for law school, and what advantage you expect to make by being a lawyer. (and time frame)

Here's mine:
30 year old engineering manager.  Salary $110k

Opportunity Cost:
consultant $175k (within 3 years), better hours, but intellectual development would be less than LS
mba + corporate female dog, negligible salary increase more politics

Future LS potential
Corporate and patent attorney, with hopes of inhouse.  Expect $200k within 8 years, but the path and work/life balance is less than the other options.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Trad Testosterone Thread... What's better than Law School?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 09:57:10 AM »
35 year old paralegal in a small-ish town where paralegals don't make more than 30K.  Also an AF reserve tech sgt.

Law school with scholarship (= no loan repayments) will mean more money.  Family will move out of small town after I graduate to be closer to Philly/Wilmington, where I hope to make at least 60K.  Hubby's getting his masters in education, so we'll both be earning more than we do now.  It's a win-win.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

HolyDung

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 01:21:19 PM »

No loans is a great deal.  The long term financial outlook was obviously one of the interests behind this thread.  I have to get my lazy wife's ass working instead of child rearing.  The way I see it, two people making 60-70k while working a 40 hour week is a much better proposition than a traditional household with one breadearner making $150k but working 60+ hr weeks.  economies of scale w/ regards to the labor pool, if it were only legal to make a 3 yr old earn his keep :)

Im in the DC area and would probably want to move somewhere with a better quality of life.  Philly / Wilmington obviously peak the interest.

Ok, off to the library to try to find some crazy incorporation tax schemes to minimize the law school debt impact.

DodgerLaw

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 02:24:17 PM »
blondie?

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 02:27:15 PM »
Yeah that "lazy ass wife" statement sort of bothered me.
I'm totally for working moms but that was mean.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

bulletproof

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 08:50:28 AM »
35yo Police Sergeant for major city police dept.
Salary= 75K to 100K depending on how many hours I want to work over base.

Law School means becoming more professional in the field I love to work in.  Working as an atty might might mean another city if I want more $ as starting salaries for attys here are about what I already make.

angelus

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 04:02:07 PM »
30, college degree, working as dishwasher. I need a career that will make me some money and allow me to do what I want to do in life so that I am less confined by self-appointed masters in society. Its status as well...you could be the dumbest schmuck in the room but you wave that JD around and people immediately give you respect.

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 10:37:30 AM »
Ok - I will bite...

38 years old

After 7 years with the State Police - I went into IT. IT has been very good to me (8 years now), have been running around 100k per year. Just got my degree in IT management (3.89 GPA) from a fairly insignificant University. BUT I LOVE LAW! I will have to do PT Law School - I can not afford to stop working (mortgage, bills, and family).

I am leaning toward Technology Law (most likely a subset of corporate law), maybe even Contracts or Real-estate - I am after the next level of $$. I know having my JD will not make me worth any less! I am hoping for 150-ish after a few years - while the path is not yet clear, I know those doors will open up as I go along. Longer term - I am striving for signigicant increase in $$.

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 02:59:00 PM »
Ok - I will bite...

38 years old

After 7 years with the State Police - I went into IT. IT has been very good to me (8 years now), have been running around 100k per year. Just got my degree in IT management (3.89 GPA) from a fairly insignificant University. BUT I LOVE LAW! I will have to do PT Law School - I can not afford to stop working (mortgage, bills, and family).

I am leaning toward Technology Law (most likely a subset of corporate law), maybe even Contracts or Real-estate - I am after the next level of $$. I know having my JD will not make me worth any less! I am hoping for 150-ish after a few years - while the path is not yet clear, I know those doors will open up as I go along. Longer term - I am striving for signigicant increase in $$.

I just got laid off from a quasi-IT job, a Business Analyst.  IT is good for some, and bad for others.  I was being bled dry, and then got laid off due to a merger.

It sounds like IT has been good to you, and I'm curious as to why you'd leave.

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 08:01:48 AM »

I just got laid off from a quasi-IT job, a Business Analyst.  IT is good for some, and bad for others.  I was being bled dry, and then got laid off due to a merger.

It sounds like IT has been good to you, and I'm curious as to why you'd leave.
IT really is not for me - I have no true intrest in it, I really do not want to persue the next round of certifications just to jump ahead in a field I really do not like. Yes it pays the bills and that is great, but it is time to do something I really want to do.

I am not sure how this will all play out yet  - looks like a fun ride though.