Law School Discussion

Calling all UCSC graduates on their way to law school

Calling all UCSC graduates on their way to law school
« on: May 29, 2005, 12:41:37 AM »
I graduated from UCSC and received mostly narrative evaluations. They're mostly excellent, but do law schools even bother to read them?  I know that UCSC does not matriculate the narratives into a GPA (unless you took a certain number of courses for grades-which I did not).  They leave it up to the schools you're applying to, to read through them.

So, technically, although I did very well at UCSC, I don't have a matriculated GPA, so my LSDAS report merely shows my GPA from community college before I transfered to UCSC.  Also, I have to leave the GPA section of the law school app's blank and include an addendum...

Doesn't this leave me at a huge disadvantage in the application proccess? Any info from UCSC graduates would be much appreciated...

ohwellok

• the cutest beagle in the whole wide world!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Calling all UCSC graduates on their way to law school
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 05:30:45 PM »
i had this question back in fall when i was getting ready to apply, and no one really replied...i don't think there are many banana slugs perusing this site! i was sort of in your situation. not sure when you graduated, but when i was a ucsc student, you could take at least 2/3 or your classes for letter grades and still get a gpa, so that is what i did. i also received evals for all of my classes. i still felt like i was at a disadvantage because i had 1/3 less classes factored into my gpa than other folks, which meant less classes that could have boosted my gpa. anyhow, this cycle turned out just fine for me. if there is one thing i wish i had done differently, it would definitely have been to apply earlier. i think that since you are in a somewhat special situation, it will help you immensely to apply early. i have no idea if schools read your evals. i did call a few schools, and they recommended writing an addendum explaining my school's grading policies, but said it shouldn't hurt me. i would call the schools you are applying to and see what each one prefers. however, to answer your ultimate question, no...i don't think you are at a huge disadvantage. it's almost like you get the privilege of having extra letters of recommendation that other students won't have. your file will be unique in that respect. plus, ucsc is a respected instituion, and its graduates have pursued law school, medical school, and other graduate programs. i'm sure you'll be fine.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 08:58:22 PM »
Thank you very much! I thought no one would reply & I'm really worried about this... :)

Eegahh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 06:32:43 PM »
Are you guys still in Santa Cruz?  I grew up here (but left for school), and am currently sitting around stewing in my own boredom, waiting for the summer to come and go so I can escape again.  Of course, nobody I know here is doing the law school thing (The closest I've got is somebody at my work whose "Brother is so totally smart that he goes to Monterey College of Law").  Oh, the angst of it all!  I want to dye, dye, dye my hair black and go play Vampire: The Masquerade down on Pacific!!! (Do they even do that any more, or am I just illustrating how long I've been gone?)

ohwellok

• the cutest beagle in the whole wide world!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 09:34:27 PM »
i don't live in santa cruz anymore, but i sure do miss it! i had a great time there while i attended ucsc. i totally laughed out loud when i thought of all the goths on pacific ave! last time i was there i noticed they put in this short wrought iron fence around that area in front of new leaf on pacific. now all the hippies who hang out there are fenced in, haha. no one i know is doing the law school thing either, i don't know what i would have done if i hadn't stumbled upon this board. so are you hanging out in sc for the summer until you start school?

Are you guys still in Santa Cruz? I grew up here (but left for school), and am currently sitting around stewing in my own boredom, waiting for the summer to come and go so I can escape again. Of course, nobody I know here is doing the law school thing (The closest I've got is somebody at my work whose "Brother is so totally smart that he goes to Monterey College of Law"). Oh, the angst of it all! I want to dye, dye, dye my hair black and go play Vampire: The Masquerade down on Pacific!!! (Do they even do that any more, or am I just illustrating how long I've been gone?)

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 11:17:56 PM »
I just moved in October from Santa Cruz to San Jose to be closer to my job. I miss the beaches a lot. I was actually just at the Santa Cruz wharf today & went kayaking out to the lighthouse. It was great! Even saw some sea otters & seals.  8)
 So, what's with no one from UCSC going to law school? Do I have a chance with no GPA from my 2 yrs. there (just narrative eval's)?

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 09:12:16 PM »
    What's up all you Sluggs, too bad not many people representing themselves on this silly (but very informative) site.  Just to balance the casualty of newly minted SC Sluggs NOT going to law school (or not surfing this site), I'm going to start in Davis in August, and when I was there for an orientation for accepted students, I met another guy from SC who was in one of my politics classes, ready to tear up King Hall's turf with me (against me? :o) in the Fall.

SO.  I just missed the 2/3 criteria to get a GPA, so my transcript is scribbled with narrative evals, letter grades/evals, and letter grades from studies done abroad.  Honestly, it looks like a mess and I was quite insecure about it not impressing the admissions officers.  Having said this, I DID realize that I needed to get as many letter grade classes as I could in my last two years, so most of my classes in those two years were letter grades and I lucked out and did well in them.  So maybe if you did well during the time you were in Santa Cruz, the admissions people wouldn't care much about it.

A second note.  LSAC transcribes your letters into a GPA.  It's true, there will be discrepancies between what you would get if you tallied up all the narrative evals into grades AND what LSAC transcribes.  Mine turned out to be higher, since LSAC only looked at the letter grade courses, in which I did well.  Having said this, again, all schools request your transcript to be sent to the school, so you will be able to show the schools themselves your real transcripts BESIDES the "report card" LSAC sends in for you (after they see your transcript).

Sorry it is all a bit confusing.  But I think I have put it as coherent as possible.  In a nutshell, not having all grades can help as well as it could hurt you.  But in the end, if your credentials are impressive enough, it would not matter. 

My email is dzee127@sbcglobal.net  I have done this law school business for two years, because I didn't get in anywhere for the school year 04-05 because my LSAT was too low.

cutcut

• I remember it as if it were a meal ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 11:18:11 AM »
Just want to say hi to all my fellow Slugs out there.

I'm an old-timer with no grades from UCSC at all. None. Zip. GPA=0.00. I have a graduate degree, but that GPA doesn't count for much. Obviously, I was concerned about my competitiveness as well.

I asked this question to a bunch of reps at a law fair and on the whole got a pretty uninformed response (except from one University of Iowa prof whose daughter goes to UCSC). Most said, though, that they read everything and that without a GPA I'd get treated much like the international students. The rep from Santa Clara said they love narrative evals because they're like 36 letters of recommendation.

Anyway, I managed to get in to a bunch of schools and will be attending UT, so my evals per se couldn't have hurt too much. I bet they read them all and then examine the total package. Hopefully, your LSAT, letters, and essays all give a good impression.