Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ibm laptops-special feature that i need..  (Read 2087 times)

jomolungma

• View Profile
Re: ibm laptops-special feature that i need..
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2005, 03:42:26 PM »
Did you PAY $2650 or was it $1350 (You said you paid about $1300 less than if it were retail price). 

Even $2,650 seems ridiculous to me, didn't you look at the $750 off Dell coupon?  The i9300 has really good reviews from CNET and PCMAGAZINE. 

I do agree though, an IBM thinkpad is a top-top machine.  I would have gotten one if it weren't cost-prohibitive for me for all the specs I want (basically what you got, but without bluetooth).

I paid $2650.  The normal price of this machine, without education discount, is close to $4K.  ThinkPads are expensive.  In my mind, they are over priced.  However, I had two things to consider.

First thing is that my school will increase my student budget by the cost of a computer up to $3K.  This means that my laptop cost will be bundled into my student loan.  Since that thing is so freakin huge anyway, what's another few hundred bucks?  Second, while I did look at all Dell models, and price configurations, they just don't make 'em like a ThinkPad.  It's kinda hard to describe unless you've got both side by side. 

The ThinkPad is built like a truck.  The LCD has zero flex, the keyboard is the best out there, and the security and recovery tools that come built into the thing are amazing.  It's made out of stronger and lighter materials than my bike for pete's sake!  I just didn't get a warm and fuzzy when using the Dell.  I didn't like the keyboard, I felt the designs were clunky and not as solid, etc.  While I did like the screens on the Dell, I'm very happy with my SXGA on the T43. 

In the end I think buying a computer is a personal thing.  I've been buying them for 20 years and every time I do it's a several month process to find the right one.  And the reasons I end up buying one will always be slightly different then the next guy.  I can't say you should buy a ThinkPad or a Dell.  All I can do is tell ya what I did and let that factor in to your decision process.  The extra $$$$ on the ThinkPad, in the end, was worth it to me.

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2005, 04:34:48 PM »
I bought a Dell 9300 which purportedly has a more solid design than the Lattitudes ore the Dell 6000. 

A friend who has a similiarly configured Dell 9300 said his weighs 7.85lbs.  I'm wondering if I should get a different system--I just fell in love with that high definiton "glossy" look, and Dell only offers that on the 17" widescreen or the 12.1" screen, and I'm definitely not going with 12.1" for my primary computer.

What do you think?  Is this too big of a laptop?  I'll be attending Washington & Lee which is the smallest "highly ranked" law school in the nation. The building is only 2 stories and almost all my classes and the library on the same floor. 

I got an outstanding deal, and when I price the same specs on a Inspiron 6000 it comes out $4 MORE expensive, but with no "glossy" display, and the display is 15.4" instead of 17".  Of course, the weight/size factor is important, but is it important enough to give up a beautiful feature simply for convenience in my situation? 

Tony Brooks1

• Sr. Citizen
  • none
    • View Profile
    • info
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2005, 05:33:08 PM »
no offense...but it blows my mind that someone could need a $2,500+ computer....overkill?

"Que ve esta noviembre?"

jomolungma

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2005, 08:51:21 PM »
no offense...but it blows my mind that someone could need a $2,500+ computer....overkill?

you're absolutely right if you have a very narrow use for the laptop... this will be more than just a note-taking machine for me.  additionally, it will be the only laptop i intend to purchase for at least the next three years, which means i wanted something towards cutting-edge right now.  if i needed a laptop to just take notes with, and only needed it for a year, i definitely would have made a different purchase.

also, not that i want to split hairs, but the computer itself cost $2K.  add shipping, tax and additional warranty coverage and you have $2600.  there are ways to save on all three of those items, but i made specific choices.  if i had the thing sent slow-shipping to new jersey for example, i could have saved ~$200.

Tony Brooks1

• Sr. Citizen
  • none
    • View Profile
    • info
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2005, 09:15:04 PM »
i hear ya..
cool man.
"Que ve esta noviembre?"