Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ibm laptops-special feature that i need..  (Read 2190 times)

Cyndra

Re: ibm laptops-special feature that i need..
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2005, 10:59:16 PM »
If price is a concern, tool around on the IBM education sales site.  There are very good deals hidden in those pages.  I got my T43 for about $1300 less than it would have cost through the normal channels.

What specs does yours have and how much did it cost? I'm just wondering about the deal I got...

jomolungma

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2005, 07:33:58 AM »
If price is a concern, tool around on the IBM education sales site.  There are very good deals hidden in those pages.  I got my T43 for about $1300 less than it would have cost through the normal channels.

What specs does yours have and how much did it cost? I'm just wondering about the deal I got...

ThinkPad T43, Model 2668-94U
2Ghz CPU
1GB RAM
60GB UHS HD
15" SXGA+ LCD
CD+-RW/DVD ROM
Bluetooth/ABG Wireless
Fingerprint Reader
Additional 3-yr ThinkPad accidental damage coverage w/ on-site repair (the standard that comes with it is 3yr depot service and no accidental damage coverage)

$2655.03 after tax and shipping to NYC (tax rates vary on by state)

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2005, 01:51:43 PM »
Did you buy it over the phone?  Did you get any discounts?  I am looking for the cheapest way to buy.  As a Hastings student I can buy through Berkeley.  I am trying to figure out if that will actually save me any money or not.  They seel one with a 80 GB hd

jomolungma

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2005, 04:28:08 PM »
Did you buy it over the phone?  Did you get any discounts?  I am looking for the cheapest way to buy.  As a Hastings student I can buy through Berkeley.  I am trying to figure out if that will actually save me any money or not.  They seel one with a 80 GB hd

I bought it over the phone through a phone number that was listed on the IBM/Lenovo education discount page that I was on.  Each state has their own programs, sometimes each school, and each program has a 4-digit extension/code linked to it that you should dial after the phone number to get prices quoted from that program's discounts.  Additionally, I had developed a relationship with one of the sales folks after calling back a few times with questions, and when I finally decided on a computer he threw in an extra 512MB of RAM for free, so I'd recommend a similar method.  I don't believe the sales folks there work on commission, but I think they do work on incentives for high sales volume.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2005, 04:55:16 PM »
Good to know, thanks

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2005, 01:20:09 AM »
Dont buy a computer that costs more than $1500 unless you just have money to burn, all you need it for is to run mircosoft word. Don't pay for companies to sell you overpriced RAM. You can buy it yourself at half the price, its not hard to install you just snap it in. Also keep in mind computer manufacturers love extended warranties almost as much as used car dealerships.

BAFF213

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2005, 01:53:09 AM »
You have a point, but regarding the extended warranties ---  I understand that they love extended warranties, but what are we supposed to do, not get a warranty?  That would be really idiotic.

Dont buy a computer that costs more than $1500 unless you just have money to burn, all you need it for is to run mircosoft word. Don't pay for companies to sell you overpriced RAM. You can buy it yourself at half the price, its not hard to install you just snap it in. Also keep in mind computer manufacturers love extended warranties almost as much as used car dealerships.

jomolungma

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2005, 07:35:02 AM »

here's a hypo for ya - say you run a business out of your house that requires you to drive your own automobile 2000 miles per week.  If you don't do the driving, you don't get paid and you don't have money to pay bills, etc.  wouldn't you get a warranty on that car?  isn't it mission-critical enough to have some piece of mind that if the thing breaks someone will fix it?  and wouldn't you buy the most reliable car you could find in the first place?  one that has the least likely chance to break down on you?

well, if you plan on taking notes in class on a laptop, your little computer is just as critical to your livelihood.  maybe i'm strange, but i'd buy the most reliable and best i could afford, and then warranty it up the wazzoo.

voce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2005, 11:00:19 AM »
well, if you plan on taking notes in class on a laptop, your little computer is just as critical to your livelihood. maybe i'm strange, but i'd buy the most reliable and best i could afford, and then warranty it up the wazzoo.

I think this is a great point. Though I usually shy away from extended warranties (companies wouldn't sell them if they didn't make money off of them), this is one case where I'm going to go for the full sha-bang. On-site, nights, weekends--you name it. The last thing I need during the next few years is to be frustrated by a machine.
Attending: Harvard!
Accepted and withdrawn:Georgetown, Penn, Cornell, NYU, Boalt Hall, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Boston College, Fordham, Columbia
Rejected: Stanford, Yale

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2005, 01:58:13 PM »
Did you PAY $2650 or was it $1350 (You said you paid about $1300 less than if it were retail price). 

Even $2,650 seems ridiculous to me, didn't you look at the $750 off Dell coupon?  The i9300 has really good reviews from CNET and PCMAGAZINE. 

I do agree though, an IBM thinkpad is a top-top machine.  I would have gotten one if it weren't cost-prohibitive for me for all the specs I want (basically what you got, but without bluetooth).

here's a hypo for ya - say you run a business out of your house that requires you to drive your own automobile 2000 miles per week.  If you don't do the driving, you don't get paid and you don't have money to pay bills, etc.  wouldn't you get a warranty on that car?  isn't it mission-critical enough to have some piece of mind that if the thing breaks someone will fix it?  and wouldn't you buy the most reliable car you could find in the first place?  one that has the least likely chance to break down on you?

well, if you plan on taking notes in class on a laptop, your little computer is just as critical to your livelihood.  maybe i'm strange, but i'd buy the most reliable and best i could afford, and then warranty it up the wazzoo.