Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Steps on Getting an Apartment.  (Read 2217 times)

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Steps on Getting an Apartment.
« on: June 05, 2004, 09:27:56 PM »

I have some questions about moving to new cities and living arrangements:

1) Do you first go to the city where the school is at, get a hotel and stay there for days and use those time to look for an apartment(looking and visiting), buy furnitures and other stuff?

2) Since alot of law students move around for summer associates positions, ect. during law school...when they move to a new city for the summer associate position, do they usually rent another apartment for just 3 months and buy all the furnitures (at least a bed) while they still have another apartment close to school while still paying rents there?

Thanks in advanced.

ruskiegirl

Re: Steps on Getting an Apartment.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 09:48:37 PM »
I just moved from Florida to California and may be able to answer some of your questions. 

I actually went to California and stayed in a hotel (with as many personal belongings as I could take with me on the plabe) while I was apartment searching.  I did this because of the housing market in Berkeley.  I was told by many locals and realtors that, generally, housing in Berkeley becomes available immediately, so it is best to be ready to move in as soon as you locate a place you like.  I used www.craigslist.com to look for potential apartments while I was still in Florida.  I saved those listings that looked interesting and set up appointments to see them upon my arrival in Califonia.  It's best to look at a variety of places so that you can get a feel for neighborhoods, rental options and prices.  Keep in mind that a lot of times (this is especially applicable in Berkeley) that higher price doesn't necessarily equal better apartment.  So take your time and shop around.  For those moving across the country, I recommend furnished apartments, if those are available in the area.  (Let's face it, you probably won't want to take the cheap furnishings you aquire in law school with you when you buy your first home as an attorney.  So why waste the money for things you will only use for three years?)  I was lucky enough to find a fully furnished apartment for a very reasonable price just 4 blocks away from campus. 

I spoke with my landlord and told them that it is very likely that I will be taking a summer clerkship somewhere other than Berkeley, and they were very willing to accomodate me.  They changed the lease agreement to allow me to sublease during the summer as long as they approve the potential tenant.  As far as getting a place in the city where you will have your clerkship, I would look for summer subleases.  There are plenty of college kids that leave to go home for the summer and families that take vacations at their summer homes.  I don't think you will have much trouble finding a place to stay.  Plus, the firm where you will be working will probably suggest some housing arrangements.  (You will be making a nice chunk of money, so cost isn't likely to be a problem.)

Hope this helps.

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 12:32:08 AM »
One idea is to buy a place, perhaps a duplex.  Rent out one side and live in the other.  I mean face it if you go to the same law school all three years that rent adds up.  In addition, you get to pick the tenant and can basically give 'em the boot if they are a pain (make sure to only set up a month by month lease).  Shoot, you could even give 'em the boot right before finals just to be sure.  Even if you lose 10k on the place when you sell in 3 years you'll still come out ahead.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 03:27:30 AM »
One idea is to buy a place, perhaps a duplex.  Rent out one side and live in the other.  I mean face it if you go to the same law school all three years that rent adds up.  In addition, you get to pick the tenant and can basically give 'em the boot if they are a pain (make sure to only set up a month by month lease).  Shoot, you could even give 'em the boot right before finals just to be sure.  Even if you lose 10k on the place when you sell in 3 years you'll still come out ahead.
I totally agree. I was going to do that if I went to school on the east coast, where real estate is actually affordable.  Obviously, since the cheapest "fixer-upper" in the Bay Area is like 300,000 dollars, I can't afford to do that here.

sarahz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 12:23:59 PM »
Rent a hotel for a weekend and go apartment hunting, sign a lease that will start a few days before you'll be arriving so that you can send your stuff in advance.  Go furniture hunting once you get there. 

I made a trip out to chicago last month, found a place and at the end of july I'm moving out there.  I've given myself two weeks to get settled, the first week will be spent buy all the crap i'll need and unpacking.  The second week will be for me to get settled in my new surroundings. 

As far as the summer goes, many places around colleges are used to students and will do 9 month leases or consider trying to find a job in Berkley so you dont have to waste the money on another move!

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 05:55:39 PM »
I wouldn't do this - most states have laws about renter's rights - you can't kick them out without a long lengthy legal battle.  However, buying a place is a good idea.

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 06:53:59 PM »
You can with a month by month lease.  Raise the rent whatever, it's not hard.