Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Prep test 18, Game #4  (Read 3148 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Prep test 18, Game #4
« on: June 05, 2004, 09:00:18 PM »
I hate this game.  I totally missed something.  I actually only got 2 wrong out of 5, but it's still a lot.  The two I missed I'm totally stumped on.  Here's the game and rules, and the two questions.  Sorry for the long post, and thanks for the help!

Prior to this year's annual promotion review, the staff of a law firm consisted of partners H and R, associate O, and assistants G, J, L, S, T and W.  During each annual review, each assistant and associate is considered for promotion to the next higher rank, and at least one person is promoted from each of the two lower ranks.  An assistant is promoted to associate when a majority of higher-ranking staff votes for promotion.  An associate is promoted to partner when a majority ofpartners vot for promotion.  Everyone eligible votes on every promotion.  No one joins or leaves the firm.

O never votes for promoting G, J, or T (He could vote for L, S, W)
R never votes for L or S   (He could vote for G, J, T, W, O)
H never votes for J or W   (He could vote for G, L, S, T, O)

22.  If Johnson is to be promoted to associate during next year's review, which one of the following is the smallest number of assistants who must be promoted during this year's review?

A. one
B. two
C. three
D. four
E. five

I guessed E, but the answer is B.  Why?

24.  What is the smallest number of associates in teh firm immediately after next year's review?

A. none (which is what I guessed)
B. one (the answer)
C. two
D. three
E. four

Why?

I got confused with the this year/next year stuff.  It didn't appear to be any limit or anything on who could be promoted.  In fact, the only person that couldn't be promoted this year, I thought, was J, since only R would vote for him.  What am I missing?

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Prep test 18, Game #4
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 09:16:31 PM »
For 24. I remember it saying somewhere that there has to be at least one person from each group who gets promoted.  So one assistant has to be promoted, so next year there has to be at least one associate. 

Yeah... here it is "and at least one person is promoted from each of the two lower ranks."

And for 22, if J is promoted, he is an associate.  But he can't get the majority of votes next year because O is now a president.  So in order for an associate to be promoted next year, there has to be another associate next year... and for that to happen another assistant has to be promoted this year.  Get it?

I think you just forgot about the rule that each year at least one associate and one assistant must be promoted. Don't you hate it when that happens?!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 09:49:42 PM »
Thanks Skittles.
I still don't get 22...If J is to be promoted next year, why do *2* have to be promoted this year?  I know at least one does.  My thinking though, was since J is the only one who, this year, doesn't have a second person to vote for him, the only way to ensure that he would be promoted was to promote the other 5 associates, so he's the only one left, and therefor he *has* to be promoted next year.

But barring this possibility, I know at least one person must be promoted, and that's  answer choice A.  But according to the book, answer choice B is correct.  I still don't see why 2 people have to be promoted though.

And I do get 24 now.  There has to be at least one person as an assistant next year to be promoted, and if every assistant this year, except one, were promoted, and then next year, all those new associates were made partner, that one lone assistant would have to be promoted to associate.  I'm all set with that. 

I hope we don't get a game like this next Monday.  Any other suggestions/explainations for #22?

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 10:04:58 PM »
Ok... I think I get 22 now!!  Only two of G, L, S, T and W need to be promoted this year because any two of them COULD vote for J because next year they will be associates and therefore capable of voting.  So say G and L are promoted.  Then G, L, and R can vote for J (since there would then be 3 presidents and 2 associates, 3/5 is the majority.)  ANd that would give J the majority of votes!

I'm thinking that if we do all the LSAC game sections, it's not so likely that they'll give us a game that's totally unlike any game we've done before. You know?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 11:05:26 PM »
Oh, duh...I get it now.  I think it's possible that they might do something like this again.  But it's also the *only* game that I've ever seen like this.  I'll just keep my fingers crossed that we don't.

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 11:07:26 PM »
Oh, duh...I get it now.  I think it's possible that they might do something like this again.  But it's also the *only* game that I've ever seen like this.  I'll just keep my fingers crossed that we don't.

Oh no... there is another promotion game in one of the later testpreps.  I just saw one.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 02:19:09 PM »
Ok...so perhaps if there's been on in the last year or so, there won't be one in june.  Better yet, when I get to the next promotion game sometime this week, I'm gonna hope I kick it's ass, so I won't worry about the possibility of seeing in next Monday!

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 03:02:56 PM »
I hate the 3rd game on test prep 22.  It is so annoying because do to all the restraints you keep thinking it's simple and easy... but it's NOT!