Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gays a minority status?  (Read 6421 times)

A.J

Re: Gays a minority status?
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 04:33:44 PM »
Call you what?

stop

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 04:34:32 PM »
ok, I won't answer.
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

jbs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 10:44:18 PM »
true... but what self respecting gay wants to go to Baylor ;)

I'm with you on that ... I went to the Baylor graduation this year (my sister was graduating) and the president of the university delivered a speech about how American culture was out to get Christians because "traditional Christian values" were now being labeled "hate speech." Hmmmm, I wonder what hot-button issue he was talking about?
i have to say, depending on the circumstances from which the comment arises, i agree with the notion that speaking about "christian values" often gets twisted as "hate speech" as a means to silence the religious group/person speaking.  sometimes it really is hate speech (see: rev. phelps from wyoming) and other times its just a simple religious stance on something. 

that said, you may not want to list "gay" on your app to pepperdine either.   ;)
"i don't know what you're afraid of
i don't know what you've heard
get up, come on, let's do something
dontcha wanna know the Word"

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jbs

PlsAcceptMe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 10:48:33 PM »
this is ridiculous, WTF has this world come to?  ???
ERAU 3.08
Comm. Pilot

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 08:14:22 AM »
this is ridiculous, WTF has this world come to?  ???

Great argument.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 11:05:13 PM »
Some lawfirms, governmental agencies (*not* feds), private-interest firms do consider gays a minority. It can also help at some schools.

I don't think it'd help at liberty, either. (They kept sending me info through LSAC -- I was tempted to start asking them what provisions they had for married student housing for same-sex couples -- but it wasn't worth my time.)

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2005, 11:24:41 PM »
I feel like at a lot of schools being lgbt does help a little.  But only if the admissions office knows, which usually they don't, b/c they don't ask, and most people don't tell.

That said, I think there are other things that most schools find just as valuable in adding diversity.

For instance, at the school I'm going to, I get the impression that serving in the military is probably just as valuable to them as having experiences as an LGBT person.  Being from Alaska might be a plus too.  Or perhaps being a missionary. 

The point is that I respect a school's decision to add diversity, whether it be any of the above.  And while some schools do consider LGBT status to be something that adds diversity, there are a lot of other things that they consider to add diversity just as much.

On the other hand, I've never seen a school discriminate on the basis of veteran status or religion, but there are a handful of schools that maintain policies where students may be kicked out if they have same-sex relationship (Baylor, Pepperdine, Liberty, Regent, Ave Maria, ect).  And there are many schools that won't allow official student organizations that work with LGBT issues, but I have yet to see a school not allow an official student organization that is faith-based.

Jebber

• Sr. Citizen
  • Git-R-Done!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2005, 07:29:16 PM »
It's fun when you've been on for over a year and hear the same questions all the time.

You answer is unfortunately no.  It may aid in an overcoming-adversary PS or something.  but just for being gay you get nothing... well you get a better fashon sense.

If you're in a relationship with someone your size you get to double your wardrobe too.
2.78 (McGill), 158
ATTENDING: Franklin Pierce

"Concord or Bust(y)!"

NathanB

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2005, 09:22:50 AM »
It's fun when you've been on for over a year and hear the same questions all the time.

You answer is unfortunately no.  It may aid in an overcoming-adversary PS or something.  but just for being gay you get nothing... well you get a better fashon sense.

If you're in a relationship with someone your size you get to double your wardrobe too.

Only problem with this is that you aren't always the same size as your partner....... so it doesn't always work.

Jebber

• Sr. Citizen
  • Git-R-Done!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2005, 09:20:16 AM »

Only problem with this is that you aren't always the same size as your partner....... so it doesn't always work.

I hear ya. My junk doesn't fit into any of my girlfriend's thongs...
2.78 (McGill), 158
ATTENDING: Franklin Pierce

"Concord or Bust(y)!"