Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please Help . . . Do I Have a Chance?  (Read 1738 times)

eclaw12

• View Profile
Please Help . . . Do I Have a Chance?
« on: June 05, 2004, 07:07:40 PM »
Hello All,

I graduated this past December with a 2.59, after transfering from a previous college with an even lower gpa.  I am assuming that when the two are averaged out my gpa will be about a 2.2.  I had a rough time with an eating disorder and depression . . . and recently started getting treatment for my problems.  I believe that I will be able to do really well on the LSAT (I got a 1480 on my SATs and graduated from high school with a 3.8)

I really want to be a lawyer and one day a Law Professor!! Do I have a chance?  Is there anything I can do to be a competitive canidate for a top 100 like Northeastern, Catholic, Brooklyn, or Rutgers?

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Please Help . . . Do I Have a Chance?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 07:15:00 PM »
2.2 may be the cutoff line for most schools, meaning, no matter how high your LSAT is you still won't get in. Despite that, I think many top 100 schools would let you in if you could give a convincing reason why you did poorly in college and could score in the low to mid 170's on the LSAT. For instance, my brother graduated from college with a 2.45 and scored a 169 on the LSAT. He got into FSU and was actually above average according to their admissions index. BTW, his SAT score was 1430. Hope that helps.

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 07:24:54 PM »
if you break 170 and have a good personal statement i have no doubt you can get into at least a tier 2 school like catholic.  GMU (first tier) uses a scale where they weigh LSAT at 80% and they have taken a couple people with very low GPAs and high LSATs.  give it a shot. 

ruskiegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 07:46:10 PM »
if you break 170 and have a good personal statement i have no doubt you can get into at least a tier 2 school like catholic.  GMU (first tier) uses a scale where they weigh LSAT at 80% and they have taken a couple people with very low GPAs and high LSATs.  give it a shot. 
I'm not sure they weigh it THAT heavily.  My buddy got in with a 158/3.8.

nathanielmark

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 08:14:35 PM »
i am pretty sure its 80/20 (or very close to that) i looked at it on the index site and was shocked myself.

BLAKEAGGIE98

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - BlakeAggie98
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 11:26:34 AM »
graduated this past December with a 2.59, after transfering from a previous college with an even lower gpa.  I am assuming that when the two are averaged out my gpa will be about a 2.2.  I had a rough time with an eating disorder and depression . . . and recently started getting treatment for my problems.  I believe that I will be able to do really well on the LSAT (I got a 1480 on my SATs and graduated from high school with a 3.. 

I really want to be a lawyer and one day a Law Professor!! Do I have a chance?  Is there anything I can do to be a competitive canidate for a top 100 like Northeastern, Catholic, Brooklyn, or Rutgers?

All you can do is try. I too have about a 2.2 GPA No excuses I just did not try in college and my grades reflect that. If you really want it bad enough there is always a way. And if you don't get into a top 100 you can surely get into a TTTT school if you do well on the LSAT. Actually it's kinda cool because I didn't have to do much in college and I can make up for it on 1 test (hopefully). Just make up for it with a good LSAT
South Texas College of Law here I come!

sarahz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 12:09:15 PM »
You def. want to write an adendum explaining your problems and how you overcame them but just a word of advice from someone i know on a Cali Law School Admission Board...depression/eating disorders can scare them off depending on how long you've been seeking help.  As I'm sure you know, both are things that can be set off because of stress, lack of control, being in new situations...etc! All things that will occur in law school!! Nobody is going to want to admitt you if they dont think its in your best interest health wise nor are they going to want to have one of their students end up with serious health concerns dragging down their averages (harsh but true).  Pair that with a low GPA it will be hard to get into a school without an awsome LSAT to show that you are a good student.  Consider getting some work experience or something to help boost your resume too!  Good Luck :)