Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reagan dead at 93...  (Read 2933 times)

M2

Re: Reagan dead at 93...
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 05:06:24 PM »
because he was a C list actor.

Bedtime for Bonzo!!

thechoson

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 05:18:32 PM »
The Soviet Union was like a table sitting on one leg.  It's system WAS unsustainable.  Hell George Kennan knew this back in the 40s. 

However, Reagan was the president that had the guts to challenge the notion of containment, and instead wanted to actively put pressure on the Soviets. 

I think his foreign policy was solid.  The only thing idiotic was the Strategic Defense Initiative, which threatened the security of MAD which had sustained the Cold War peace for so long.

Dilettante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2004, 05:46:57 PM »
Surprised about the mixed support.  I figured incipient law students were a more conservative bunch.  Anyway, it's weird to know that Reagan is dead.  For so long, he simply was the president, almost like no one else could really [ibe[/i] pres.

But I do think the tendency by republicans to cannonize him is troubling.  It's like he is beyond criticism to the far right.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2004, 06:42:13 PM »
he is god to the right.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2004, 06:44:15 PM »
Not any more than slimey Willy Clinton is God to the left.

thechoson

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2004, 06:47:19 PM »
Surprised about the mixed support.  I figured incipient law students were a more conservative bunch.  Anyway, it's weird to know that Reagan is dead.  For so long, he simply was the president, almost like no one else could really [ibe[/i] pres.

But I do think the tendency by republicans to cannonize him is troubling.  It's like he is beyond criticism to the far right.

Of COURSE he is beyond criticism to the far right. What is disturbing about that?  All his policies were kiss ass to the far right

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2004, 07:04:44 PM »

is he?

he is god to players everywhere, though  :D

sarmstrong806

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2004, 07:19:28 PM »
I will agree that the far right is obsessed with Reagan.

I have no idea because I was 5 years old when he left office.

They'll say the same thing about Bush after he wins his second term.

He will win because John Kerry's supporters will vote for Bush before they vote against him, and the votes for him will count.

They will then make the excuse that voting for a canidate and voting against a canidate were completely interchangeable back then.

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2004, 12:16:16 PM »

is he?

he is god to players everywhere, though  :D

Seriously?  You question that statement?  Come on.  He is King to the democratic party. 

Has their ever been a president in which a majority of the American people all agreed was a noble and all around good president?  I doubt it. 
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2004, 12:28:10 PM »
I'm already tired by the beatification of Reagan.  Yes he provided the country with optimism during a time when we desperately needed it.  But let's face it the man's not a saint.  He was the kind of man who would support a fascist over a communist.  He had little sympathy for the poor.  He ran on a platform of small government but forgot about it when it seemed politically unachievable. I'll never forget when they rolled the 4 feet of budget documents up to him and he said something along the lines of that a budget this big was a disgrace, and then promptly signed it.

I feel for his family having to struggle with Alzheimer’s.  For the last years of his life my grandfather when he functioned thought I was one of his army buddies.

Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!