Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 19 Q's wrong on one section - Retake?  (Read 569 times)

abefroman

• View Profile
19 Q's wrong on one section - Retake?
« on: May 26, 2005, 04:19:37 PM »
I got a 160 on my lsat.

1st part: 3 wrong
2nd part: 4 wrong
3rd part: 19 wrong (logic puzzles)
4th part: 0 wrong
5th part: unscored

(for anyone trying to pwn3d me, these might be off by an answer or two)

Should I retake?  I was really stressed out because i wasnt allowed a cig after the first 2 parts, and I couldnt get a single one of the premises on the logic puzzles section.  I do well on the practice logic puzzles, but not under stress.  will i keep getting the same result?

oldhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Q's wrong on one section - Retake?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 04:33:34 PM »
Is a 160 good enough for where you want to go?

NewYork

• Lawyers do it on a trial basis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 04:35:26 PM »
Most certainly retake.  With your scores on the other sections, you can easily get into the 99th percentile (assuming you stop your craving for cigarettes long enough to do well on the games).

pinko_chick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 04:36:08 PM »
Puzzles are the easiest to improve, so don't give up yet.  I would practice puzzles extensively.  If you could get yourself to get even only three puzzles entirely correct, you could be scoring in the 170s.
What did I have for breakfast, you ask?  Two cups of coffee and a deep sigh...

DantéS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 04:38:43 PM »
no brainer.  Retake
"All human wisdom is contained in these two words, ‘Wait and hope.’”

davidatfsu

• AOL Instant Messenger - davidsLawyer
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 04:41:10 PM »
Take a timed preptest or two to make sure you could still do that well. Last thing you want to do is still not do as well on the LGs and then score worse on the other sections. It won't be worth picking up 7 or 8 questions in LGs if you can't perform as flawlessly as you did before. I mean, missing only 7 questions on 3 sections? Hot damn.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 04:51:03 PM »
Buy the Logic Games Bible, LEARN how to do those games, and retake.  When I first started studying for the LSAT, I got nearly every one of them wrong.  Then I studied that book from cover to cover until I could do them in my sleep.  I aced the section with 10 minutes to spare.  No sh!t.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 05:33:02 PM »
I got a 160 on my lsat.

1st part: 3 wrong
2nd part: 4 wrong
3rd part: 19 wrong (logic puzzles)
4th part: 0 wrong
5th part: unscored

(for anyone trying to pwn3d me, these might be off by an answer or two)

Should I retake?  I was really stressed out because i wasnt allowed a cig after the first 2 parts, and I couldnt get a single one of the premises on the logic puzzles section.  I do well on the practice logic puzzles, but not under stress.  will i keep getting the same result?
Of course, anytime stress hampers performance, you should retake. Why? You may calm down. If you don't, you can always cancel your score.

A word of caution however. It may be the case that many, many persons found that AR section really tough on the test you took. In my case, during every single one of my practices, I did far better on LR than anything, and my AR were almost always my lowest score. But, on the actual exam that I took, my highest score was in AR, and lowest was in both LRs. But, most other test takers had trouble with the LRs on that test, and the AR was pretty easy. So, it wasn't a reflection of me so much as it was of the difficulties of the respective sections.
Getting 19 wrong on AR is a lot, and if you say when stress isn't a factor you do well, it is likely you will improve if you handle stress better. But, carefully weigh whether your "seven wrong in three sections" performance can be matched or beaten. If, during practice exams, you are averaging 12 or more wrong in those three sections, any gains you make in AR might be taken away in LR RC LR.
But, remember, you already have a 160 in the books, which is perfectly acceptable to most law schools. So consider this a "free" test, with no real consequence on whether you can become a lawyer or not. That, and that alone, should help your prospects.

IWasDostoevsky

• AOL Instant Messenger - iwasdostoevsky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=iwasdostoevsky
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 06:26:10 PM »
I've taken about 20 or so preptests, and I couldn't have gotten more than 3 logic game questions wrong.  However, I always have between 5-10 LR wrong.  For me, I can't understand how people do so well on LR and so poorly on the logic games.
It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in,
And you've got the stock market beat.
But a man worthwhile, is a man who can smile,
When his shorts aren't too tight in the seat.

XYZZY

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 06:30:35 PM »

in my case it's lack of short term memory and slow thinking.  games are much more mechanical and speed oriented, while LR is more visualization.  I usually miss about 3 combined for the LR sections but 5 on games.