Law School Discussion

LR, February 1997, Section 1, #14

LR, February 1997, Section 1, #14
« on: May 26, 2005, 11:59:36 AM »
Here's an LR question for you guys:

In jurisdictions where use of headlights is optional when visibility is good, drivers who use headlights at all times are less likeley to be involved in a collision then are drivers who use headlights only when visibility is poor. Yet Highway Safety Department records show that making use of headlights mandatory at all times does nothing to reduce the overall number of collisions.

Which one of the following, if true, most helps to resolve the apparent discrepancy in the information above?

A) In jurisdictions where use of headlights is optional when visibility is good, one driver in four uses headlights for daytime driving in good weather.

B) A law making use of headlights mandatory at all times is not especially difficult to endorse.

C) Only very careful drivers use headlights when their use is not legally required.

D) There are some jurisdictions in which it is illegal to use headlights when visibility is good.

E) The jurisdictions where use of headlights is mandatory at all times are those where daytime visibility is frequently poor.

I missed this one twice and I don't understand the reasoning behind the correct answer - what do you guys think?

A.J

Re: LR, February 1997, Section 1, #14
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 12:05:57 PM »
C

These drivers who use headlights at all times have a predisposition for safer driving.

withj

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 12:07:24 PM »
Here's an LR question for you guys:

In jurisdictions where use of headlights is optional when visibility is good, drivers who use headlights at all times are less likeley to be involved in a collision then are drivers who use headlights only when visibility is poor. Yet Highway Safety Department records show that making use of headlights mandatory at all times does nothing to reduce the overall number of collisions.

Which one of the following, if true, most helps to resolve the apparent discrepancy in the information above?

A) In jurisdictions where use of headlights is optional when visibility is good, one driver in four uses headlights for daytime driving in good weather.

B) A law making use of headlights mandatory at all times is not especially difficult to endorse.

C) Only very careful drivers use headlights when their use is not legally required.

D) There are some jurisdictions in which it is illegal to use headlights when visibility is good.

E) The jurisdictions where use of headlights is mandatory at all times are those where daytime visibility is frequently poor.

I missed this one twice and I don't understand the reasoning behind the correct answer - what do you guys think?

My guess is (C), because it allows for a connection between the carefulness of drivers and reduced likelihood of collisions. When using headlights is mandatory, careful drivers are still careful drivers, and less careful drivers are still less careful. If the connection is between the carefulness of drivers and collisions, and NOT between use of headlights and collisions, (C) best resolves the discrepancy.

Am I right?

XYZZY

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 12:10:15 PM »
right, C.  it's a correlation versus causation passage. in this case the headlights have little bearing on driving safety.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 12:20:36 PM »
Ok I think I see why C works. (which btw is the correct answer)  :)

I got swayed by E because it explained why the records don't show reduction in overall collisions but it's more about the drivers who use headlights are more likely to be safe drivers than those who don't volunatarily use headlights....

Thanks!