Law School Discussion

30 mins or 35mins sections when practicing???

30 mins or 35mins sections when practicing???
« on: May 26, 2005, 07:20:04 AM »
I was wondering if you guys think its better to do practice sections in 35mins or only allow yourself 30mins.  I have been doing only 30mins to try and account for extra pressure on test day, but am thinking my scores may be unrealistically low and my prep may result in me rushing on the real test.  I was hitting in the mid 160's when I was prepping for the Feb test (but postponed the test).  A few months ago I did a test with 30min sections and got 152.  I then went thru LGB and LRB and recently did another test with 30mins sections and got 157.  At the moment, I end up missing about 6-8 Q's on the LG and RC sections and 2-3 Q's on the LR section at the moment.  I know I can get my speed up over the next week before the June test and get mid 160's again, but I'm hoping for 170+.  But, back to my question, do you think I should prep and plan for 35mins per section or 30mins per section?

Re: 30 mins or 35mins sections when practicing???
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 10:34:04 AM »
Don't be unrealistic:

1- Use all 35 minutes

2- Don't expect a 170+ to come out of nowhere in the next few weeks when those are your practice scores, you won't be happy with your score. 

desmo

• View Profile
Re: 30 mins or 35mins sections when practicing???
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 10:56:21 AM »
I held to 30-32 minutes to work on my pacing.  This way I learned when I was spending too much time and would have to move on.  Come test day, I was more relaxed knowing I had extra time then what I was used too.  You will have to account for the proctor being off - ours was a minute short on a couple sections and a minute long on others (at least compared to my stop watch and when I started it).

I also agree that if your practice scores are in the 150's, it's slightly unrealistic to think a 170+ is going to pop up on test day.

IMO if you're missing only 2-3 on the LR, you've got a good grasp of those sections.  You're RC an LG is where you need to concentrate.  I'd lean towards doing more of these sections and less LR sections in the next 2 weeks.  LSAT 180 helped me with harder LG setups, but beyond that, it was just practice, practice, practice.