Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UNC Waitlist news?  (Read 1721 times)

tegra8

Re: UNC Waitlist news?
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2005, 10:28:11 AM »
not instate... i would think there would be some movement with people getting picked off the waitlists at other school and just deciding to attend other places in general.  i would hope these people would be considerate enough to withsraw themselves from UNC once they decide to go elsewhere

bhsueiu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2005, 06:05:28 PM »
I'm in-state.  I know of some people that have decided to go elsewhere but have not withdrawn yet.  *sigh*  Not much that can be done about that though except try to be patient.  As for me, I'm getting the distinct impression that it's not going to happen for me this year, so I think I'll be taking the LSAT again in Oct. and trying again next year.

fireplace

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 10:18:00 AM »
It's not the end of the world to wait a cycle. That's what I did.

I have a bill from UNC now for the balance of tuition and fees, or instructing me to reference any loans I expect.  It's due August 5th.  So I would think that they would compile a list of those who don't return it the next week and start calling people then. Sorry, that means 6 more weeks probably.

bhsueiu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 10:33:37 AM »
It's not the end of the world to wait a cycle. That's what I did.

So you applied twice Fireplace?  What did you do differently between one application cycle and the next?

fireplace

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 03:03:47 PM »
I was rejected last year with a 3.55/164/out of state.  This year, I did the following:

1) Moved here and established residency (you have to be here a year before school starts).
2) Retook the LSAT, improving from a 164 to a 169.  UNC supposedly only looks at the high score so this should have particularly helped.
3) Wrote a new PS.  My old one was more of a narrative through my resume, accentuating my lawyer like skills and aptitudes.  The summer after my rejection I met with the Dean of admissions (now gone) and he told me that my PS was not good and was the reason I didn't get in, he thought. This latest PS was more of a picture into who I am as a person, with more emphasis on making an original and memorable PS. I still obviously played up some of the lawyer skill/aptitude stuff, although more subtley. 

Still, this last year with a 3.55/169/in state I wasn't a slam dunk -- I got in in March when many others had already been admitted, and I was awarded zero merit money.  So obviously there's still some of the picture I'm missing, so I might not be the best person to ask for specific advice.

tegra8

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005, 03:24:11 PM »
that is very strange.... it seems 3.5/169 would be an autoadmit instate or not... 

well hopefully they can turn around those bills pretty quick in august cause I dont know how much past early august I can wait, I have to sign a lease somewhere at some point!

bhsueiu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2005, 04:12:50 PM »
Hmmm...UNC puts more weight on the GPA, and 3.5 is still within the 25-75 percentages.

Good to know your story though Fireplace...looks like I will be retaking the LSAT then...ugh.  Was looking forward to NEVER looking at that test again!

Will wait until August 1st-ish to register, just in case miracles happen!

fireplace

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2005, 04:14:51 PM »
Blue -- aren't you in the area anyways? I guess you can afford to wait. Like I was saying, I bet they will have the most serious movement in mid-August so go ahead an brace yourself for that.

bhsueiu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2005, 04:45:50 PM »
Yes, I am in the area...but I'm very conflicted about leaving my job without being able to give notice.  It just feels icky to me on all counts to do that to my boss, who wrote a recommendation, and my coworkers, 'clients'...and it's not the best way to go into my law school experience either, packing up my office at the same time I'm trying to finish up cases, shop for books, get loans, etc. etc.  Agonizing.

tegra8

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2005, 05:05:06 PM »
^exactly... thats my biggest concern as well.  As much as id love to go to UNC, I dont think it is smart to be in the middle of moving, adapting to the area, getting books, loans, etc all during the first week of class!  seems like a recipe for a terrible first semester