Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: summer law firm work  (Read 333 times)

lah05

• View Profile
summer law firm work
« on: May 26, 2005, 12:53:27 PM »
So I am without a real job this summer and have thought about trying to find some sort of employment (volunteer or paid, doesn't matter at this point) at one of the law firms in the area (all are in small towns...nothing big here).  However, none are actively seeking summer help, and I don't have any experience working in a law related area. 

Would it be worthwhile for me to even inquire at any of these places, and if so, how should I go about doing it?  Call...visit...ect.?  Has anyone tried this before?  I want to minimize my appearance as an idiotic law student wannabe (waste of their valuable time) if I do try. 

Thanks!
Attending:  Indiana University-Bloomington
Go Hoosiers!

Packman2162

• View Profile
Re: summer law firm work
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 03:59:42 PM »
I am attempting to find a job in a law firm this summer as well.  However, none of the firms that I have visited want to hire summer help.  I just took a bunch of resumes around to the different firms.  Hopefully, I will get a call back sometime soon.  Good luck.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 06:10:50 PM »
I had the year off and got a job at a law office with no legal experience.  I think I got the job based on my LSAT, because I was supposed to have some paralegal certificate.  I played down the law school thing, and pretended to be undecided though, which I would not recomend at this stage (you don't need enemies).  I started as a legal assistant doing easy work.  They actually paid for paralegal classes and promoted me.  It was a very good experience, and I think it will help me a lot in law school.  Now I am interning for a large county law firm more alligned with my interests. 

I say go for it.  Most attorneys seem excited to meet someone interested in the law, and I have definately been taken under their wings.  Most firms want someone long term b/c so much training is involved, so I would suggest interning.  If that does not work just try to go interview with a few attys under the pretense you want to learn about what they do.

MR2Tyler

• Vrroom.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MR2Tyler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 07:58:01 PM »
Since I decided to pursue a JD, I've yet to meet an attorney who wasn't thrilled to bend over backward to help in any way possible.  Personally, I'm going to be doing some simple Westlaw research for a local firm.  I'm collecting unemployment, having been laid off from my previous full-time job, so I'm hoping to work little enough that it won't affect my payments  :)  I'll be happy to get al ittle beer money.

-Ty
Won:  Idaho ($$)
Lost:  USC, UW, UC Davis (Whipped like a Yugo in F1)
Still Racing:  W&M