Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ask a black girl  (Read 82851 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
ask a black girl
« on: May 26, 2005, 11:33:28 AM »
let's see where this goes...
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

LaneSwerver

Re: ask a black girl
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 11:35:13 AM »
What's the deal with "aks" vs. "ask"? Why do some people do this and others do not? I have a child in my class at the moment (9 years old) who says "aks" but her mother does not. Should I correct her?

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 11:38:15 AM »
you should definitely correct her..i haven't heard many people say that unless they've had problems with their "s'" .. she may need to see a speech language pathologist in the school...

What's the deal with "aks" vs. "ask"? Why do some people do this and others do not? I have a child in my class at the moment (9 years old) who says "aks" but her mother does not. Should I correct her?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 11:38:32 AM »
Do you think the reason why black men marry outside their race more than black women has something to do with common personality traits that black women share? ie is something wrong with you people?
Look to the left -- Look to the right

blaqueangel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 11:42:28 AM »
I've found that a good number of adults do that and I always cringe when I hear their pronunciation of "ask".

You'll be doing her a big favor by correcting her.

you should definitely correct her..i haven't heard many people say that unless they've had problems with their "s'" .. she may need to see a speech language pathologist in the school...

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 11:43:26 AM »

Are you from the south? I know that a lot of people (myself included) say "aks" vs. "ask". You should definitely let her know that it's not "kings english" to say "aks". However, it's ok to use in a relaxed situation. It's not a black girl or guy thing. I think it's a southern way of speaking in informal settings.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 11:48:46 AM »
honestly i don't think that's it at all... people that hide behind that as a reason typically date the wrong black woman that perpetuates the stereotypes that you're speaking of..

they then choose  to date a woman of a different race because they feel that she's better accommodating to their needs or their weaknesses...

ie i'm not going to enter a relationship with a man who's sitting on his ass doing nothing for a living (with no intention of changing that) just because he's attractive.. whereas a woman of a different race may be smitten by his looks...

i think that the question was a good one though rbg.. it's just like black women saying there are no good black men out there.. when in fact there are many...

Do you think the reason why black men marry outside their race more than black women has something to do with common personality traits that black women share? ie is something wrong with you people?

seu2002

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 11:51:20 AM »
whereas a woman of a different race may be smitten by his looks...

smitten i am.  jk.

(bump)

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 11:52:51 AM »
honestly i don't think that's it at all... people that hide behind that as a reason typically date the wrong black woman that perpetuates the stereotypes that you're speaking of..

they then choose  to date a woman of a different race because they feel that she's better accommodating to their needs or their weaknesses...

ie i'm not going to enter a relationship with a man who's sitting on his ass doing nothing for a living (with no intention of changing that) just because he's attractive.. whereas a woman of a different race may be smitten by his looks...

i think that the question was a good one though rbg.. it's just like black women saying there are no good black men out there.. when in fact there are many...

many?  now let's not go too far

Made4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • "to boldly go, where no man has gone before"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 12:05:29 PM »
Why do we have a plethora of single educated black women, that say they can't find a man...It would seem they would be the cream of the crop when mate picking time comes ;)

Edit: Good Morning Blk!...How did I know you would be the one to start this thread. ;)
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy."