Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What age is too old to start being a lawyer?  (Read 5027 times)

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: What age is too old to start being a lawyer?
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2005, 12:32:16 PM »
I just turned 36.  Whether I got to law school or not, I'll still be 39 in three years.

Remember these two things.

1.  Age is just a number.

2.  Growing old ain't for sissies.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2005, 12:46:08 PM »
Don't feel bad.  There was a dude in my SO's medical school class that was in late 40's when he started and his early 50's when he finnished!  And medical school is alot longer commitment - 4 years + at least a three year residency!

And there is this other dude my SO is friends with who is a resident here in San Antonio who was already a MD (he was a general practictioner) and decided to go back and re-do his residency in psychiatry.  And he is in his early 60's!  All of his kids are in their 30's and he has like 5 grandkids!  And, on top of that, I was talking to him one day and he said that he plans on retiring after he finnishes his residency and becoming a minister!

It just goes to show that it should not be about age, but about whether or not law school is what you really want do...
Attending: Texas

HolyDung

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2005, 06:19:44 PM »

the younger the better.. associates are on lock-step pay structures so age, and often experience, are irrelevant.

If you get a BIGLAW gig you could be hitting $200k by your 30s.. but you might want to take the law school ranking seriously.

EvieO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2005, 10:31:45 PM »
I would just like to thank this thread for making me feel young! (Not something that happens often on this board.) I'm 29.  8)

I know I'll definitely make a better law student at this age than I would have at 22. 

Go for it!

LaneSwerver

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2005, 10:40:01 PM »
I'd have to say anything over 85 is too old to become a lawyer. Not to practice as one, mind you, but to start the process. Being 77, as I am, I feel very strongly about this. Keep those goddamn octogenarians out of our law schools and in the nursing homes where they belong.

be10dwn

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2005, 09:12:01 AM »
I know that you might be feeling like you're already too old. Not even close, my friend. But on the other hand no use in further procrastination until you are 41 like me. I'm not too old either. I'll still have at least 20 good years as an attorney. Maybe as much as 30 or 35, especially if I cut down on Quarter Pounders.

LOL. Well said. You know, turning 30 is very interesting. You think you are old when you are not. It's like dodger said though....further procrastination is not something you want to do.

I turn 30 July 9th.  Everyone grieve for me! LOL

Hegel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2005, 03:13:18 AM »
When is it to be too young? I am 18 now, and I am graduating from the University of Delaware in May '06. If all goes as planned, I will get my JD @ 22. Is this too young? Will firms look at my youth as a GREAT handicap?

No, but you might be posting in a nontrad newsgroup looking at a new career in 15 years asking the same questions about being too old ;)

Age is an absolutely personal thing.  I knew a 90 year old lady that ran 3 businesses, managed 5 apartment complexes, raised 12 kids, and cared for her Alzheimers suffering husband with the gusto of noone I've ever seen.  I also have read comments from 35 year old folks commenting about how they are too old to become lawyers ;)

Follow your dreams, work hard with enthusiasm, and success will follow.  Ultimately, results matter ... age doesn't.