Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When deciding a law school, how important is....  (Read 419 times)

Tis Another Day

• AOL Instant Messenger - sunyeo78
    • View Profile
When deciding a law school, how important is....
« on: May 26, 2005, 06:48:13 AM »
the open door policy of professors/deans/administration?

is this just nice to have or something that should be heavily considered?

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
Re: When deciding a law school, how important is....
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 07:48:14 AM »
I personally think it is very important.  I come from JMU and UTK.  I did my undergraduate at JMU and most of my professors were very accessible.  You could pretty much walk up to their offices and they would be there ready to help.  At UT-Knoxville, it was a completely different story.  I did my graduate work there, and I was not happy.  Half the time professors weren’t even on campus, unless they had an undergraduate class to teach.  By and large, it took them days to answer emails, if they answered you at all.  And this was in graduate school!  Granted, law school is a different beast, but after my two completely different experiences, I know that I am looking for a faculty that is open and easily accessible.

Tis Another Day

• AOL Instant Messenger - sunyeo78
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 09:21:08 AM »
Kilroy -

I think so too.  My dilemma is this : the 2 schools i am considering are completely opposite.  One is a Tier 2 and one is a firm Tier 3.

Tier 3 - very supportive
Tier 2 - no such the case.

Thanks for your words though.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 09:30:04 AM »
I think an open door policy is important because it is generally indicitive of a more relaxed atmosphere.  However, if you find a school with tightly knit student body that is very supportive of each other, then I wouldn't worry about not being able to have extensive office hours.  Plus, if you pester a prof enough, eventually they'll help you out or give you information just to get rid of you.