Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chicago or Cornell...what to do!!!!  (Read 6008 times)

wrmusgro

Re: Chicago or Cornell...what to do!!!!
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2005, 06:47:02 PM »

(look at the bill of rights and compare it to the status of the people swept up in gitmo)

Oh wait, freedom must only apply to the NON accused!

Well the detainees at Guantanomo Bay didn't end up there by selling girl scout cookies that's for sure.

And by the way what is your background? Upper-middle class W.A.S.P.? Or are you just someone who really just has no idea about how the real world works? Like I said, go down there and introduce yourself with the detainees. I'm sure they'd love to meet you.

Should I assume that mistakes are never made  in your "real world?"  I don't doubt that most of the Gitmo prisoners are there for a reason, but I think the "justice" problem isn't so much that they're *there* as it is that they can't get any objective review of the justifications for their incarceration.

Mistakes are made, that's why it's the "real world". I mean for christ's sake, do you really think that the producer's of the show would have ever cast Julie if she would have turned out to just be some uber-christian? I think not.....oh you weren't taking about the show the real world. I'm sorry....on to your question/accusation.

Of course mistakes are made, that's why it's real, and not some perfect fairy tale like the ACLU and other groups wish it to be. In their "fake" world the whole world gets along peacfully and no one hates one another. Everything is perfect!!!!!!! Woohoo!!!!!

Now as far as the justification for the detainees being held in Gitmo, well....they're suspected terrorists, which under the Geneva Convention have no "rights". It's known as plain-clothed enemy combatants. Read up on it. Anyhoo....being suspected terrorists is justification enough. Oh yeah....even though this doesn't get a lot of pub, people who are cleared of being terrorists are let go you know.

Sooo...now that's over....did you catch the Inferno last night? Oh my GOD!!!!!!!!! It was SOOOOOOOOO GOOD! Too bad Julie lost last week's Inferno.....

I'm no expert, and I didn't look too hard, but your phrase "plain-clothed enemy combatants" doesn't register any hits on Google, and I can't find it anywhere here:  http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/91.htm.  As I said, you seem to know more about this, so if you have somewhere I can look to find "plain-clothed enemy combatants," I'd appreciate it. 

Well you're obviously a liar because i did a google search and it came up with this nice little link:

http://www.fed-soc.org/Publications/IRAQFAQ.pdf

Read up on it and it will tell you all about "plain-clothed enemy combatants". And for the record I searched google using these words: plain clothed enemy and geneva"

Next time search a little more before you open your mouth.

Cheers. ;D

Alright f*cktard...I wasn't even arguing with you, just asking for some info.

You'll notice I started by pointing out that I didn't look too hard at all.  You might also notice that I quoted "plain-clothed enemy combatants," and if you search for that, you really do get nothing.  I wasn't lying, so perhaps you'd like to do a little research of your own before you open your mouth.

You might also notice that your link isn't exactly an authoritative statement.  It's a legal analysis from the less-than-neutral (though certainly reputable) Federalist Society.  The article itself admits that "plain-clothed enemy combatants" are not mentioned anywhere in the Geneva Conventions, though the article does make a decent argument on the legislative intent that Guantanamo detainees are not prisoners of war.  That said, I think this issue is far from settled. 

Ohh f*cktard....I haven't heard that one in a while. I'll have to pocket that one and save it for future use. Thanks! ;)

Stacers117

• AOL Instant Messenger - Stacers117
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2005, 11:52:46 PM »
Alright...Well I am probably going to get a lot of *&^% for this, but I will be sticking with my decision to go to Cornell. 90,000 is to me too much money to turn down. Both schools claim the private average starting salary is $125,000, so it seems more prudent to take the money. After reading your posts, I knew I didnt want to go into academia and would be fine in either city, whether it be new york or chicago. With that in mind, Cornell seemed fine. I am comfortable with the area and already had found an apartment, etc. Granted, it is a boring place, but I figure I'll be in a major city in 3 years so there is no real rush. It would be a much less stressful move to ny vs chicago, when moving to either and starting law school will probably be stressful enough to start. Im also hoping (Fingers crossed) that I will be able to do better academically at cornell than i would have at chicago which will give me better opportunities later. I'm sure no matter which I had decided upon I would not be regretful later. And so, as the deadline is tomorrow, I will be sending in a declining email to chicago. I'm sure it will be ok and when I graduate it will be like getting an additional 90,000 sign on bonus since I wont be taking that sum out of my salary.  :) Thank you all so much for all your remarks and best of luck with everything!
Stacey

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2005, 12:17:12 AM »
*Applauds*

Good luck!!!
Fed gov't atty

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2005, 12:45:36 AM »
I would have made the same choice, 90k+ interest is not worth the prestige of working for the 5th best law firm instead of the 10th best or whatever slight difference the chicago degree might have made down the road. Congratulations.

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2005, 01:31:05 AM »
Alright...Well I am probably going to get a lot of sh*t for this, but I will be sticking with my decision to go to Cornell. 90,000 is to me too much money to turn down. Both schools claim the private average starting salary is $125,000, so it seems more prudent to take the money. After reading your posts, I knew I didnt want to go into academia and would be fine in either city, whether it be new york or chicago. With that in mind, Cornell seemed fine. I am comfortable with the area and already had found an apartment, etc. Granted, it is a boring place, but I figure I'll be in a major city in 3 years so there is no real rush. It would be a much less stressful move to ny vs chicago, when moving to either and starting law school will probably be stressful enough to start. Im also hoping (Fingers crossed) that I will be able to do better academically at cornell than i would have at chicago which will give me better opportunities later. I'm sure no matter which I had decided upon I would not be regretful later. And so, as the deadline is tomorrow, I will be sending in a declining email to chicago. I'm sure it will be ok and when I graduate it will be like getting an additional 90,000 sign on bonus since I wont be taking that sum out of my salary.  :) Thank you all so much for all your remarks and best of luck with everything!
Stacey

Great decision, Stacey.  I don't really understand the terms of the financial aid deal, but if cost of living isn't factored in yet, you're talking about well over $100K saved.  That's most of a condo right there, and it sounds like the better choice for you. 

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2005, 02:35:22 AM »
A perfictly reasonable decision for you. Good luck in Ithica.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2005, 09:00:27 AM »
Cornell is a great school, and they are giving you $90,000 to attend?  Sweetheart of a deal.  You made the right decision.  Be proud!!

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2005, 12:06:44 PM »
classes and competition should be, if anything, a bit less intense (i.e. competetive). that sounds good to me...
(163+172)/3.5

FinerWoman

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2005, 04:43:33 PM »
Alright...Well I am probably going to get a lot of sh*t for this, but I will be sticking with my decision to go to Cornell. 90,000 is to me too much money to turn down. Both schools claim the private average starting salary is $125,000, so it seems more prudent to take the money. After reading your posts, I knew I didnt want to go into academia and would be fine in either city, whether it be new york or chicago. With that in mind, Cornell seemed fine. I am comfortable with the area and already had found an apartment, etc. Granted, it is a boring place, but I figure I'll be in a major city in 3 years so there is no real rush. It would be a much less stressful move to ny vs chicago, when moving to either and starting law school will probably be stressful enough to start. Im also hoping (Fingers crossed) that I will be able to do better academically at cornell than i would have at chicago which will give me better opportunities later. I'm sure no matter which I had decided upon I would not be regretful later. And so, as the deadline is tomorrow, I will be sending in a declining email to chicago. I'm sure it will be ok and when I graduate it will be like getting an additional 90,000 sign on bonus since I wont be taking that sum out of my salary.  :) Thank you all so much for all your remarks and best of luck with everything!
Stacey

Congrats on making your decision! I'll see you at Cornell in the fall.
Attending: Penn (2006)
Accepted: Cornell $$, USC $$, Temple $$

quinten

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2005, 01:15:19 PM »
Congratulations on your decision! I'll be seeing you at Cornell in the fall too.

For me the choice was easy -- tuition & living expenses free thanks to a parent who works at cornell. But I think you'll like Ithaca, I grew up there and I'm happy to move back to Ithaca from a medium sized city for at least a few years.