Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chicago or Cornell...what to do!!!!  (Read 6003 times)

Stacers117

• AOL Instant Messenger - Stacers117
    • View Profile
Chicago or Cornell...what to do!!!!
« on: May 25, 2005, 09:25:05 PM »
I just need to hear some opinions on what to do. I just got a call today that I got into the University of Chicago. Right now I am in Ithaca looking for apartments at Cornell and was ready to sign a lease tomorrow. What should I do? I have 21,000 a year at cornell and dont have chicago's financial info yet. Should I sign the lease? Where would you go? Cornell is closer to home and I'm already kinda settled there, but Chicago is the better school and has some great opportunities being right in the city. Any opinions whatsoever will be greatly greatly appreciated!!!
Stacey

JLaw

• View Profile
Re: Chicago or Cornell...what to do!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 12:08:39 AM »
If I were you, I would go with Chicago. It seems like there will be much greater opportunities there.

I just need to hear some opinions on what to do. I just got a call today that I got into the University of Chicago. Right now I am in Ithaca looking for apartments at Cornell and was ready to sign a lease tomorrow. What should I do? I have 21,000 a year at cornell and dont have chicago's financial info yet. Should I sign the lease? Where would you go? Cornell is closer to home and I'm already kinda settled there, but Chicago is the better school and has some great opportunities being right in the city. Any opinions whatsoever will be greatly greatly appreciated!!!
Stacey

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 01:05:19 AM »
I would go to Chicago myself. But that's just me.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

brotha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 02:38:21 AM »
Chicago will offer more opportunities and it is in a city that is a lot more fun than Ithaca.  Cornell is definitely not as good.  Forget about the lease and start looking in Chicago!  ;D

U Chicago would get my vote.

RocketBot

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 03:15:48 AM »
The difference between Chicago and Cornell is significant.  If it were Virginia, Michigan, or Penn in that same situation, then you'd have an extremely tough choice.  But Chicago is really on a whole new level.

I'd need additional details of your situation, but based on what you said-- Chicago in a heartbeat.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 09:34:07 AM »
These are still both T14's.  If you want to work on the East Coast, Cornell will likely have a slight edge.  So I say take the money.  Opens up many oppertunities to take jobs you want instead of jobs you have to.  This is assuming there is no aid other than loans from Chicago.

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 03:44:19 PM »
First of all, CONGRATS! You have an enviable decision to make!

That having been said, I had a friend who was in a similar position a couple of years back. He chose Chicago and has never looked back.  ;)

V00Jeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 05:59:16 PM »
These are still both T14's.  If you want to work on the East Coast, Cornell will likely have a slight edge.  So I say take the money.  Opens up many oppertunities to take jobs you want instead of jobs you have to.  This is assuming there is no aid other than loans from Chicago.

I don't think Cornell has the edge over Chicago anywhere except in Ithaca.  Unless you really love Cornell for some reason or have some other weird circumstance, I'd go with Chicago.  By EVERY measure (USNEWS, firm placement, SCOTUS clerks, academic placement, class size [i think], quality of profs, blablabalblaabl), Chicago whoops up on Cornell.
Attending: Columbia

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 09:12:56 PM »
yeah go to chicago

i'm on the reserve list for cornell

open a spot up for those of us who would be (slightly) more enthused to attend
The Good:Harvard, Stanford
The Bad:
The Ugly: Yale

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 09:49:27 PM »

The first point is incorrect.  There's a signficant difference between Chicago and Cornell, and Chicago will probably dominate everywhere. 

60K is nothing to sneeze at either, though.  If you're focused on law firm work in the northeast, Cornell will do you fine.  If you want more national opportunities, and possibly academia, etc., pay the extra 60K-70K for Chicago.  (Don't forget cost of living.)