Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What the heck does RANT mean?  (Read 532 times)

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
What the heck does RANT mean?
« on: May 25, 2005, 10:44:16 AM »
for random thoughts.

I have a observation... although I'm not a physics major.... that winters seem to be quieter than summers.  When you go out for a ciggy in the winter it's all peaceful and quiet... but when you go out in the summer it's all noisy and *&^%.  I think it may have to do with atomic mobility as it relates to temperature, as sound travels more freely in hot environments than cold ones.

just a thought.
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

bacchus

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What the heck does RANT mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 10:47:26 AM »
My thoughts on this are that people get busy more when the weather is colder.  I have done a non-scientific study among a large group of friends.  Most of us were born during the summer.  This means are parents were doing it in winter.  Perhaps this has some baring.
A zen philosopher once said, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, a doughnut with no hole is a danish"

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 10:48:36 AM »
So I was peeing in the urinal yesterday when it hit me. I prefer street shopping in the winter.Why you ask? Well here's my reason. In the winter when you street shop the natural light is dim, making for highly reflective glare free store windows. And we all know about the expansive and contractatory (I made up that word right?) properties of glass. So when the inside tempurature is warmer than the outside temperature it makes the inner plane of the window slightly larger than the outer plane, thus creating a slightly concave surface. This makes you look thin and beautiful. Generally panes of glass are taller than they are wide, if you are walking past a store where the pane is wider than it is tall, look away, it will only make you look short. Conversely in the summer you look fat. This is a variation on the hall of mirrors attraction at amusement parks. Be forwarned that this is not always the case as some new windows are installed more snug than others to allow for settling and foundation frost heaving.I know what you're thinking, "Damn that was a long pee." Well your right, I think I drink too much coffee in the morning.So then I shook it twice ('cause any more and I'd be playing with it), and went back to my desk.

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 10:49:53 AM »
could be... but traffic noises are comperable in both seasons.

My thoughts on this are that people get busy more when the weather is colder.  I have done a non-scientific study among a large group of friends.  Most of us were born during the summer.  This means are parents were doing it in winter.  Perhaps this has some baring.

kbp

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 10:50:45 AM »
I hate putting away laundry.  I think I'd take any household chore above putting away laundry.  It's weird.  I don't know what it is about the process.  I don't mind doing it so much, transferring it to the dryer... but then taking it out of the dryer and folding it and putting it away...

I think the canteloupe is a quality melon.

bacchus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 10:54:24 AM »
Depending on where you live the traffic could be louder in the summer.  For instance since the weather is warmer now, I tend to drive with my windows down and my music turned up.  Also I shout obscenities at people smoking cigarettes.
A zen philosopher once said, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, a doughnut with no hole is a danish"

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 10:58:16 AM »
you dumbasses, snow acts as insulation and a sound absorber, in addition colder air is denser and increases acoustic impedance and slows down the speed of sound.  Consequently you won't hear as much.

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 10:59:32 AM »
I think the canteloupe is a quality melon.

I just threw up a little in my mouth

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 11:00:20 AM »
dude, is this not what I said?
I know the snow thing... but we don't all get snow regularly.
just sayin' is all

you dumbasses, snow acts as insulation and a sound absorber, in addition colder air is denser and increases acoustic impedance and slows down the speed of sound.  Consequently you won't hear as much.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 11:01:32 AM »
yeah you did - sorry, I mainly saw the whole trafiic in the winter part.