Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Russian Law (and Pre-Law) Student Discussion Board  (Read 32022 times)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Law (and Pre-Law) Student Discussion Board
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2005, 09:56:14 PM »
I don't really understand why you think having a Russian law degree would hurt you.  Could you explain?

I just don't want to sound arrogant and too concentrated on that (which really was a good chunk of my life - 7 years with Masters). So, thinking how to soften it and mix up along with other achievements and strength (this is a difficult part).
But I guess, PS goes only after relatilavely successful LSAT score, which I'm trying to reach with your wise advice  ;).

If studying on my own didn't have any positive effect, hopefully prep course will (if it's not the problem in understanding and using English, which I hope not). So, I'd love to practice and practice - but if I still can't get a right answer, probably I'm thinking in wrong approach. Another question now is: which prep courst to choose; thinking between PowerScore and Testmasters. Dilemma, odnako.

yep, bella, we're still here. 

i really think that the russian law degree is more of an advantage than a detriment.

as in any application process, the most important thing is to have the right balance of confidence and humility. 

spin it to your advantage and milk it for all it's worth!
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Bella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2005, 10:13:59 PM »
Thank you, Ruskie, very wise - I'll use it as soon, as my LSAT score will be appropriate enough to apply.

irinka

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2005, 05:08:56 PM »
vsem privet!

I understand some of you attend good law school, so can you tell me what lsat score russky applicant needs to get into boalt for instance?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2005, 05:39:05 PM »
vsem privet!

I understand some of you attend good law school, so can you tell me what lsat score russky applicant needs to get into boalt for instance?

I go to Boalt and my LSAT score was not fantastic, but I had a good GPA and lots of extras.  I don't think  there is a magic number that gets anyone in; every applicant is different and each year the admissions committees look for different things.

Have you started practicing the LSAT?  What are your practice scores?

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Bella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2005, 08:02:53 PM »
What guys do you think about GPA, got in Russia? It could be high, but it's not American GPA - so, I'm not sure, they take it so serious, although, I could be wrong.
Russkie, was your GPA from US school or not?
Also a question (I guess, I'll contact law schools directly, but always interesting to know, if somebody had any experience): does foreing applican need to take the TOEFL if you took the LSAT?
My Toefl expires this winter, so I wonder if I need to retake it.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2005, 08:23:36 PM »
What guys do you think about GPA, got in Russia? It could be high, but it's not American GPA - so, I'm not sure, they take it so serious, although, I could be wrong.
Russkie, was your GPA from US school or not?
Also a question (I guess, I'll contact law schools directly, but always interesting to know, if somebody had any experience): does foreing applican need to take the TOEFL if you took the LSAT?
My Toefl expires this winter, so I wonder if I need to retake it.

You can get your foreign degree validated here in the U.S.  During the validation process (you have to send it off to some agency that ensures your degree isn't a scam), they also convert your foreign GPA.  My mom had it done to her Russian degree so that she could teach college in the U.S.  I don't really know much about the process, but I do know that you end up with a GPA that is converted to the American 4.0 scale.  I think GPA's obtained in foreign institutions are going to be looked at pretty much in the same manner as US GPA's are.  You either got A's and B's or you didn't. 

I went to college in the U.S., so I don't have a foreign GPA.

I don't know anything about TOEFEL.  You would probably just have to check with the school.

Something I have heard that might be interesting to those of you who are foreign applicants, is that it is somewhat easier to get into the LLM programs as an interntaional student than it is to get into the JD program as a US resident/citizen.

Bella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2005, 09:58:00 PM »
Your're right about diploma evaluation, I've done it came out with a very good score of my GPA, I just mean it's probably being taken not so seriously as American degree (I could be wrong). I mean, I don't thing 4.0 GPA from a foreign college will not impress much compare to 4.0 GPA from US school.
As for LLM - yes, it's not hard to get there (if fact I was accepted for 2004-2005 academic year in BU), you even don't need to take the LSAT for that, but the thing is, that it doesn't really give you further opportunities, compare to  JD (e.g. you can't be allowed even to take the BAR in majority of states with just LLM, even being foreing educated lawyer, excluding just CA, NY and maybe (not sure) TX. Plus, even in thouse states it's a huge competition to get a descent job - and between LLM and JD the last one will be obviously preffered (JD's nowadays are agreeng to take same salary that LLM's were taking some years ago - so, not such a big need in LLM's). But it's all subjective, of course. That's how I understand the picture for today. And I see JD as the only option. Just a "little formality" - the LSAT 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2005, 11:02:47 PM »
Your're right about diploma evaluation, I've done it came out with a very good score of my GPA, I just mean it's probably being taken not so seriously as American degree (I could be wrong). I mean, I don't thing 4.0 GPA from a foreign college will not impress much compare to 4.0 GPA from US school.
As for LLM - yes, it's not hard to get there (if fact I was accepted for 2004-2005 academic year in BU), you even don't need to take the LSAT for that, but the thing is, that it doesn't really give you further opportunities, compare to  JD (e.g. you can't be allowed even to take the BAR in majority of states with just LLM, even being foreing educated lawyer, excluding just CA, NY and maybe (not sure) TX. Plus, even in thouse states it's a huge competition to get a descent job - and between LLM and JD the last one will be obviously preffered (JD's nowadays are agreeng to take same salary that LLM's were taking some years ago - so, not such a big need in LLM's). But it's all subjective, of course. That's how I understand the picture for today. And I see JD as the only option. Just a "little formality" - the LSAT 

I see your point about the foreign university GPA.  I think they would treat it in the same way they would a U.S. school -- they would look at the prestige of the school, the tendency to inflate GPA, etc. However, as you well know, the LSAT, for most schools, is going to be at least 75% of the equation.  Boalt is the only school I know of that admits to weighing the GPA and LSAT equally -- and that's only in an interview with the old director of admissions. 

You seem to have done your research.  Your GPA is great!  Knock out the LSAT and you should be all set.

Which schools do you think you might like to attend? (presume you have the grades to get in).

eloisa

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2005, 10:31:26 PM »
Regarding my GPA, I actually have two degrees: law shcool (5 years) - with 3.77 GPA and so called Magistratura (2 years of concentrating studying of Russian law) - 4.0 GPA. So, seven total years of studying law. Both were evaluated as Masters in Law.

Вы получили только пятёрки на курсе магистра, и Вы не получили хорошую отметку на LSAT? 

Вы пока сдавали экзамен "подготовки" (practice test)?

Bella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2005, 10:10:26 AM »
I'm preparing for the LSAT (to be exact will start this Saturday with Power Score). Could you, guys, provide an approximate LSAT score? Because, I always think: "this isn't my native language, so I can get away with lower score". Well, I hate to think that way, but my "inside" voice does it for me. So, for being more sober, I'd like to ask you. Thank you in advance.