Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Russian Law (and Pre-Law) Student Discussion Board  (Read 31695 times)

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Law (and Pre-Law) Student Discussion Board
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2005, 05:47:31 PM »
Take any advice Ruskie is sending your way.  Shes a Boalty (a.k.a Berkeley Law).  In regards to LSAT score, keep taking the practice exams... take every one of them.  The games will become rediculously easy... (I started at 4-5 right per sections and ended up with only getting 1 or 2 at most wrong).  The RC will always be a challenge, i wish i could give you advice on it but i bombed it (16 out of 28).  LR requires a lot of practice but eventually it becomes second nature.  Keep fighting, dont get frustrated, stay relaxed, have a good laugh everyday and you will do just fine.  - Mikey
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2005, 06:09:56 PM »
Take any advice Ruskie is sending your way.  Shes a Boalty (a.k.a Berkeley Law).  In regards to LSAT score, keep taking the practice exams... take every one of them.  The games will become rediculously easy... (I started at 4-5 right per sections and ended up with only getting 1 or 2 at most wrong).  The RC will always be a challenge, i wish i could give you advice on it but i bombed it (16 out of 28).  LR requires a lot of practice but eventually it becomes second nature.  Keep fighting, dont get frustrated, stay relaxed, have a good laugh everyday and you will do just fine.  - Mikey

I think how you do on the different sections really depends on your learning style.  I couldn't get past the games hurdle.  RC was a joke and I was pretty good at LR.  But I will co-sign on your advice to just keep practicing. 

I love you, Mishka, so don't think I am getting argumentative with you! :-*
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

kaest4

• Sr. Citizen
  • If your ship hasn't come in, Swim out to IT.
    • MSN Messenger - kaest4@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - kaest42000@yahoo.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2005, 06:34:19 PM »
I just have a question- Is the Russian language hard to learn? I have been interested in learning the the Russian language.

Thanks

MP005

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2005, 06:50:18 PM »
Ah ha! Finally a Russian thread!!!

I'm not Russkie by birth, but by marriage... though to be fair, we did meet when I was purchasing my ticket to Moscow via cell-phone at a cafe; I studied Russian in college for a few years before I met my husband.

So I take it your main focus, W.R., is Immigration law? I'm interested in trade, specifically oil law... with regards to Russia/US relations... hence why I started down this language path in the first place...

Kaest4: It's said that Russian is a hard language to learn, but I had an easier time with Russian than I did with Italian (and that was after four years of Spanish)... I think it depends on the person. What I liked was the different alphabet - it was like learning a secret code, or like how kids passed notes in code, with the letters all scrambled...

We can't use cyrillic here? It worked on another forum I'm on... here's my mandatory test of Cyrillic:
(здесь?)

kaest4

• Sr. Citizen
  • If your ship hasn't come in, Swim out to IT.
    • MSN Messenger - kaest4@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - kaest42000@yahoo.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2005, 07:17:02 PM »

I'm not Russkie by birth, but by marriage... though to be fair, we did meet when I was purchasing my ticket to Moscow via cell-phone at a cafe; I studied Russian in college for a few years before I met my husband.

So I take it your main focus, W.R., is Immigration law? I'm interested in trade, specifically oil law... with regards to Russia/US relations... hence why I started down this language path in the first place...

Kaest4: It's said that Russian is a hard language to learn, but I had an easier time with Russian than I did with Italian (and that was after four years of Spanish)... I think it depends on the person. What I liked was the different alphabet - it was like learning a secret code, or like how kids passed notes in code, with the letters all scrambled...

We can't use cyrillic here? It worked on another forum I'm on... here's my mandatory test of Cyrillic:
(здесь?)

Thanks, I looked into a study abroad language program in Russia, maybe I could take a summer semester before I start LS in the fall of 2007.

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2005, 09:00:41 PM »
My Russian is rudimentary at best.  The language itself is very rich, 100 words for the same thing and the same word for 100 things.  Some of the pronunciations are tough and its not the kind of conjugation yould see in a Latin based language.

Ruskie, I love you too my dear but a relationship isnt a relationship until you fight.  ;D
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2005, 09:51:40 PM »

(здесь?)

I am doing immigration law this summer (mostly asylum and VAWA cases) and I really love it, but I am not ready to be married to any given practice area this early in my legal education.  I want to try something radically different next summer (perhaps something corporate transactional where I can use my language skills) so that I can diversify my areas of expertise and have a better idea of what I may like to do with my life after I finish law school.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

MP005

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2005, 12:34:44 AM »
Thanks, I looked into a study abroad language program in Russia, maybe I could take a summer semester before I start LS in the fall of 2007.

If you aren't planning on studying in Russia, and if you an afford it, I heard the Middlebury summer immersion programs are superb. They are expensive though... though one can apply for financial aid... :)

Bella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2005, 09:57:54 AM »
I don't really understand why you think having a Russian law degree would hurt you.  Could you explain?

I just don't want to sound arrogant and too concentrated on that (which really was a good chunk of my life - 7 years with Masters). So, thinking how to soften it and mix up along with other achievements and strength (this is a difficult part).
But I guess, PS goes only after relatilavely successful LSAT score, which I'm trying to reach with your wise advice  ;).

If studying on my own didn't have any positive effect, hopefully prep course will (if it's not the problem in understanding and using English, which I hope not). So, I'd love to practice and practice - but if I still can't get a right answer, probably I'm thinking in wrong approach. Another question now is: which prep courst to choose; thinking between PowerScore and Testmasters. Dilemma, odnako.

Bella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2005, 09:53:40 PM »
Is this topic still alive or...?