Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Russian Law (and Pre-Law) Student Discussion Board  (Read 30622 times)

BAB

• 't aint no sin . . .
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Law (and Pre-Law) Student Discussion Board
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2006, 02:35:30 PM »
I have a language question. A Russian friend used the phrase "nesluchainoye covpodenie" (I hope that is a clear enough transliteration). Is this an idiomatic phrase or something clever that he came up with himself?

PS I found out yesterday I did get into Michigan from the waitlist. I am excited. Any Russians going there? They do offer a joint degree in Russian and Near-East (I think that's the name) studies.
Only the shallow know themselves - Oscar Wilde

oyavich

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2006, 02:40:56 PM »
If you can't tell, I'm russian  :)  from NY. Where do you guys live and what law schools are you going to?

BAB

• 't aint no sin . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2006, 02:48:56 PM »
I'm a non-Russian, Russian speaking, Coloradan going to Michigan.
Only the shallow know themselves - Oscar Wilde

Lanya

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2006, 04:56:03 PM »
I wonder if University of Michigan has a Russian student society of some form? I know that many schools have it (Berkley, UCLA, Columbia, New York, even the University of Hawaii). I was one of the organizers of Russian Student Society on my campus as an undergrad, so it's something that I would be very happy to get involved with on some level as a law school student. It's a great way to practice the language and keep in touch with the culture. Even if there is no formal student organization, does anyone know if there is much of a Russian community at the University of Michigan?  ::)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2006, 11:53:41 PM »
I wonder if University of Michigan has a Russian student society of some form? I know that many schools have it (Berkley, UCLA, Columbia, New York, even the University of Hawaii). I was one of the organizers of Russian Student Society on my campus as an undergrad, so it's something that I would be very happy to get involved with on some level as a law school student. It's a great way to practice the language and keep in touch with the culture. Even if there is no formal student organization, does anyone know if there is much of a Russian community at the University of Michigan?  ::)

I founded the one at Berkely. Glad to see that it's becoming an asset!

I think Penn has one, but I am not sure about Mich. 

If the school you end up choosing doesn't have one, you can always get one going like I did!
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Lanya

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2006, 01:53:00 AM »

I founded the one at Berkely. Glad to see that it's becoming an asset!

I think Penn has one, but I am not sure about Mich. 

If the school you end up choosing doesn't have one, you can always get one going like I did!

I know that Berkley has a very good Russian Student Society on campus (from what I've heard), even better than ours at UW. You started a Russian student society, Ksyusha? Is it the one that's called something like "Russian Business and Law Student Association," is that the one?

KSpW

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2006, 05:14:48 AM »
Privet vsem!!! I am definitely in…Russian by birth and citizenship….Didn’t decide on school yet but for sure will join (or organize) the Russian Society. Did anyone graduate from Russian law school and now going back to the US JD?

Lanya

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2006, 04:42:46 PM »
Privet vsem!!! I am definitely in…Russian by birth and citizenship….Didn’t decide on school yet but for sure will join (or organize) the Russian Society. Did anyone graduate from Russian law school and now going back to the US JD?

No, I did my undergrad here in US.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2006, 06:05:40 PM »
I don't know who Ksyusha is, but the RBLSA has been around for many years.
Yes, at the undergrad. I didn't mean for my response to be misleading. I founded the Eastern European and Central Asian Law Student Association at Boalt.  I don't really know what groups there are at the undergrad, but law students don't tend belong to them, mostly for logistical reasons.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2006, 06:06:38 PM »

I have a friend and classmate who is doing this now.