Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Russian Law (and Pre-Law) Student Discussion Board  (Read 31045 times)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Law (and Pre-Law) Student Discussion Board
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2005, 12:09:17 PM »
I'm preparing for the LSAT (to be exact will start this Saturday with Power Score). Could you, guys, provide an approximate LSAT score? Because, I always think: "this isn't my native language, so I can get away with lower score". Well, I hate to think that way, but my "inside" voice does it for me. So, for being more sober, I'd like to ask you. Thank you in advance.
Powerscore is a good program.  Go in and take your diagnostic and do the best you can on the others.  I realize that language will be somewhat of a barrier and it seems unfair that you should be at such a disadvantage, but you have to remember that technical language is even more prevalent in law school and you will have to keep up with that.  Which schools are you considering?
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Bella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2005, 12:37:09 PM »
Thanks for responding. Yes, I absolutely agree - foreign language cannot be an excuse (that's why there are so many ESL courses around). I'm just trying to compare my capability with other Russian speaking students pertaining LSAT score. Because, I assume, we think similar - so, trying to realize where should I be. So, if several Russians are applying to the same law school, than one's hight schore will not leave any excuse for other, obviously.
And regarding applying, I'll try local schools (since I live here) in MA (Suffolk, Northeastern, Boston University, etc.)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2005, 09:31:00 PM »
Thanks for responding. Yes, I absolutely agree - foreign language cannot be and excuse (that's why there are so many ESL courses around). I'm just trying to compare my capability with other Russian speaking students pertaining LSAT score. Because, I assume, we think similar - so, trying to realize where I should be. So, if several Russians are applying to the same law school, than one's hight schore will not leave any excuse for other, obviously.
And regarding applying, I'll try local schools (since I live here) in MA (Suffolk, Northeastern, Boston University, etc.)

My English is much better than my Russian, so I can't blame my LSAT score on ESL.  There was another Russian poster here for a while, but I don't think she posts anymore.  She seemed like she hadn't been here long enough to make English her "better" language.

Bella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2005, 10:27:05 PM »
Trying to improve as much as I can.I came here a couple years ago, but expected from myself much more. I guess, LSAT is that major obsticle.

Bella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2005, 10:45:21 AM »
How is everybody doing so far? :)

ChingisKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2005, 08:59:28 AM »
vsem privet!

I understand some of you attend good law school, so can you tell me what lsat score russky applicant needs to get into boalt for instance?

It's a good question. I also want to know if there's any discount for Soviet immigrants :-)

Pink, can I reasonably convey a message that I am a minority representative, since I'm a Jewish refugee?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2005, 07:27:29 PM »
vsem privet!

I understand some of you attend good law school, so can you tell me what lsat score russky applicant needs to get into boalt for instance?

It's a good question. I also want to know if there's any discount for Soviet immigrants :-)

Pink, can I reasonably convey a message that I am a minority representative, since I'm a Jewish refugee?

I wouldn't try to play the minority card now.  If you highlight your unique immigration experience in light of being a Jewish refugee (are you a Lautenberg Amendment parolee?), you shouldn't have to embelish anything.  Being yourself is always best, because it is the most convincing.

Good luck with it.

no name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2005, 01:46:28 AM »
vsem privet!

Oh, I would like to know that too, LOL.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2005, 07:23:53 PM »
Hey there fellow Ruskies and slavophiles,

Just wanted to drop in and say hello.  Sorry, I haven't been posting much lately.  It's been absolutely nuts with on-campus interviews lately and now that that process is over, I have to travel every weekend to visit the firms where I have callbacks.  But, it's all good; I am trying to stay sane.

RE: LSAT score to get into Boalt:  there's no specific number that will get you accepted or rejected.  Do the best you can and make sure to back it up with excellent recommendations, personal statement, and resume.  There's only one sure way to get rejected and that's to be uninteresting.

Anywhodiddle.  I am out.  Carry on.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2005, 10:00:14 PM »
Bumpety-bump bump. Any Ruskies around?