Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Russian Law (and Pre-Law) Student Discussion Board  (Read 31523 times)

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Russian Law (and Pre-Law) Student Discussion Board
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2007, 03:09:40 PM »
Hey all, I'm from California, too, but I've been in the US since I was 2. Wouldn't mind talking with other post-soviet law/pre-law either.

You know, I would love to find out if any major US firms have offices in former USSR states...

Amy Winehouse

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rehab is for quitters.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2007, 03:20:51 PM »
Hey all, I'm from California, too, but I've been in the US since I was 2. Wouldn't mind talking with other post-soviet law/pre-law either.

You know, I would love to find out if any major US firms have offices in former USSR states...

привет друзей!  Я родилась в Санкт Люисе, но я училась по русский язык в университете.

Skadden Arps, for one, has an office in Moskva.  And to the dude who was worried about the Russian law degree being a hindrance: the SA website says that many of the lawyers are certified to practice in Russia, which I assume means they have had some sort of training in Russia. 
Columbia Law School 2010

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »

There are definitely firms with a presence in the CIS and neighboring countries. Most of the offices are either in Moscow (corporate) or in KZ (oil).
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Tatarin

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2007, 07:31:54 PM »

I am an intern at a big US oil  company and i know here one law student(LLM) from KZ. He is trying to get an in house law position with the company back in KZ. If you need the details PM me.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2007, 07:35:23 PM »

I am an intern at a big US oil  company and i know here one law student(LLM) from KZ. He is trying to get an in house law position with the company back in KZ. If you need the details PM me.

yes, there's always the in-house option, though it doesn't pay nearly as much as a US law firm.

Tatarin

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2007, 08:23:36 PM »
I have a question for people who's English is not their first language.  Could you share about your methods of overcoming the language barrier in conjunction with LSAT? For example, when I do the LG games  I tend to translate the whole game in Russian before I start solving it. Is there a way to overcome this problem. I know that this whole inter language translation thing is slowing me down significantly. Comments?
Blagodaru. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2007, 08:25:33 PM »
I have a question for people who's English is not their first language.  Could you share about your methods of overcoming the language barrier in conjunction with LSAT? For example, when I do the LG games  I tend to translate the whole game in Russian before I start solving it. Is there a way to overcome this problem. I know that this whole inter language translation thing is slowing me down significantly. Comments?
Blagodaru. 

Seems like your English is just fine, so I am not sure why you are still translating. I would say your best bet is to get the LG bible and practice. A LOT.

Milashka

• View Profile
    • LSN (165/3.6)
« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2007, 04:55:52 AM »
agree with LondonBound- practice is the only solution!

Tatarin

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2007, 03:20:51 PM »
Opa, opa america evropa. Etogo ne mojet bit, promejutok doljen bit.

I jdal i vot v teni nocnoy,
Vraga pochual on i voy,
Protianiy jalbniy kak ston,
Rasdalsia vdrug in nachal on,
Serdito lapoy rit' pesok.
I perviy besheniy skachok,
Mney strashnoy smertiu grozil.
No, ia ego predupredil.
Udar moy veren bil is skor. Nadejniy suk moy kak topor
Shirokiy lob ego rassek.
On oprokinulsia, no vnov',
Xotia lila is rani.
Boy sakipel, jestokiy boy....

I am in desperate need of Russian practice.  :)

gkeenan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2007, 08:23:04 PM »
i have the same problem. the translation from russian to english is daunting. if you've found any techniques to overcome this (beyond the obvious, practice practice practice), i'd be much appreciative of your thoughts.