Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Russian Law (and Pre-Law) Student Discussion Board  (Read 31149 times)

as436

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Russian Law (and Pre-Law) Student Discussion Board
« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2006, 04:18:23 PM »
im a Russian immigrant (10 years in the country), my status definitely did not help a bit

Wow, even though you got accepted to some amazing schools there, I'm kind of surprised by the rejections you got.  Surely hoped something like being only 10 years in the country would've pushed you over the line. 

If you don't mind me asking, because I'm kind of counting on this whole thing being a plus for me in the long run.  Did you have to overcome any other things other than language, culture?  Because I'm writing about being from middle of nowhere in Ukraine, being the first to go to college, overcoming poverty, etc.  So, maybe it'll be something.

no i didnt have any of that so it might be something extra for you.. my dad has a PhD and i wrote about him in my essay... the only other thing that could have helped me is that i was a long island chess champion for a couple of years (analytical reasoning).. but aside from a stanford waitlist I dont think I got any positive responses that I was not expecting.. I really hope it works out better for you
ann arbor or palo alto next year.. cu in school biatches

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=as436

http://cornell.facebook.com/profile.php?id=403139 - send me a message if you are going to UMich next year

KSpW

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2006, 11:44:38 AM »

no i didnt have any of that so it might be something extra for you.. my dad has a PhD and i wrote about him in my essay... the only other thing that could have helped me is that i was a long island chess champion for a couple of years (analytical reasoning)..

Playing chess? I was a chess champion of St.Petersburg for couple years...I dont think any of these helped me: being in the US for just couple years, holding a law degree from Russia, having L.LM in international law, chess and e.t.c...I got to schools which were accepting the majority of students with my numbers.

no name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2006, 06:30:46 PM »
Why is this thread so dead, lol?  There must be some Russian/Ukrainian/etc people here. 

BTW, I was just wondering, how many people who immigrated here from former USSR actually apply to T14 schools?  It can't be that many right?

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2006, 03:18:13 PM »
Why is this thread so dead, lol?  There must be some Russian/Ukrainian/etc people here. 

BTW, I was just wondering, how many people who immigrated here from former USSR actually apply to T14 schools?  It can't be that many right?
you'd be surprised

traffic777

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2006, 07:51:23 PM »
Hi! How would you guys translate the following into Russian?

"Is the applicant in good standing?"
"Transfer/Non-degree applicant"

Thank you!
3.95/162
137(c), 147(d1)...5months later... low 160s
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=traffic777

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2006, 12:13:37 AM »

why would you think it wouldn't be many? there are at least 30 at my school and they are only a fraction of those who applied.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

no name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2006, 04:07:58 PM »

why would you think it wouldn't be many? there are at least 30 at my school and they are only a fraction of those who applied.

Wow, what school are you in? 

LOL, I was just hoping there wouldn't be that many so that I would seem more "different", haha.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2006, 07:36:50 PM »

Wow, what school are you in? 

LOL, I was just hoping there wouldn't be that many so that I would seem more "different", haha.

Berkeley. They aren't all Russian. I was basically giving a ballpark idea of how many from the former USSR. So this count includes Ukranians, Uzbeks, Kazakhs, Armenians, etc.

ari.ben.canaan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2006, 05:19:11 PM »
Count me in.
I'm from SibeRRia!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2006, 02:26:09 AM »
Count me in.
I'm from SibeRRia!
what part?